THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Doing an Aoudad Sheep European mount

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doing an Aoudad Sheep European mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there any suggestions on working with Sheep horns... I have had the tissue/brain removed by soaking in water for several weeks.... and the horn sheaths came off yeaterday... I have the skull soaking in the pool.... and the sheaths dried yesterday and now resoaking. Is there anything I should do to keep the horns from shrinking/drying too much? I also want to bleach the skull and preserve all of it... any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated... Thanks, Paul

Posts: 258 | Location: Denver Colorado, Thank GOD!!! :) | Registered: 16 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont know much about it but I am having an aoudad done at the taxidermest.
Please post pics when finished.
Thanks,
W\.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
Make sure you degrease the skull in lacquer thinner for a couple weeks after your done cleaning the skull then dip in 20% peroxide, then set in the sun for a few hours. On cleaning the horns I fill the horns with water and peroxide mix and let it sizzle for 30 mins then dry, to be extra safe spray a insecticide in the horn like Eliminator from walmart, then bondo the horns back on the core, this will keep any bugs from taking up residents just in case. I dont think there is much you can do about shrinkage, they either will shrink some or they wont.

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks... It has been suggested that I coat the horns with WD 40 to keep them from drying out and give them a slight sheen!!! Any thoughts or alternative recommendations? Another friend suggested that I mix some Elmers glue with 3 parts water and coat the skull with it to strengthen it. Thanks, Paul

Posts: 258 | Location: Denver Colorado, Thank GOD!!! :) | Registered: 16 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John B Taxidermy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdogfla:
Thanks... It has been suggested that I coat the horns with WD 40 to keep them from drying out and give them a slight sheen!!! Any thoughts or alternative recommendations? Another friend suggested that I mix some Elmers glue with 3 parts water and coat the skull with it to strengthen it. Thanks, Paul

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Do not spray oil on the horns ... it will darken them and nothing more! shocker

Wrap the horns in plastic bag and freeze them until the skull is ready, to keep them from drying out. After degreasing the skull, cut off about a third of the bony cores, so the horns can be replaced without a lot of trouble.

You can use Bondo to reattach the horn sheaths to the core. Just be aware to not set the bottom of the horns right down to the skull. The bony cores will indicate how far down the sheaths should ride. The surface of the bone before and then under the horns will appear different. Under the horns will be ridged, and the bone of the skull and very base of the horn cores will be smoother. Good luck with your project. Wink

John.

Improving the Quality and Status of Taxidermy Since 1970.

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks John.... They seem to fit on the skulls very well.....I will leave the horns as they are! I appreciate your somments. Paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Comments!!

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdogfla:
Thanks... It has been suggested that I coat the horns with WD 40 to keep them from drying out and give them a slight sheen!!!

WD40.....DISPLACES moisture does it not? Sounds like a great way to dry out the horns to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The top Taxidermist in South Florida told me they use WD 40 on all their horns to preserve them.... There are many different opinions, and I am trying to figure out the best way.... Thanks to all!! Paul