THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Taxidermist budgeting costs

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermist budgeting costs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I want to get a zebra wall hanging (or rug) made when I get back from Namibia next month. What should I budget for cost for a full body lined rug with D hooks for hanging?

Also what's a ballpark cost for a shoulder (wall) mount Kudu and Gemsbok.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12594 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zebra rug will be $900-$1200 depending on size.
Kudu $950
Gemsbok $800

This are what my taxidermist charges who specializes in Africa stuff, prices can vary significantly from one to another.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those prices seem a little low to me. Start talking to taxidemists now. Look at their work and make a decision and budget accordingly. good luck.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ryan, those prices are a bit low. You are on the right track getting input before the hunt. If you have someone in mind to do the work, sit down and talk to them about prices after you see their work (and if you are happy with their quality).

If you are searching for a taxidermist, you will find a range in prices and a greater range in the quality of work. Although price shopping may be important, quality should be your priority. You will want to admire your trophies for many years to come and poor quality work can put a damper on that.

By the way, you should be offered several different ways to do your zebra rug. Scalloped felt border, scalloped leather border, rolled leather border, cloth back, carpet backed. All will differ slightly in price.

Best of luck to you on your hunt!

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you get them done in Africa you will probably spend less than $500 on almost all the shoulder mounts.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you get them done in Africa you will probably spend less than $500 on almost all the shoulder mounts.

And I expect you'll be reminded of that every time you look at them! popcorn

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Im in the taxidemry field as is Mary and RJ. I suggest you "interview" as many taxidermists as you can, look at websites, look at actual mounted specimens from friends and look at "live" pictures of animals. Try to find the best compromise of quality and cost. There is nothing worse than taking a 58" Kudu and having the mount come back in sad shape.

When you speak to a taxidermist ask pointed questions about things like anatomy(earbuts, eye shape, septums) and how they recreate it, repairs(african work is notorious for coming in with numerous problems) and cost.

Ive said this before, but there are very few "good" taxidermist in Africa and many more here in the States. Im not whitewashing the entire taxidermy trade in SA, but Ive been there and I know good work when I see it and Ive seen very little over there or in Zimbabwe. The cost will be cheaper, but by the time you pay for shipping and import fees youll be "close" to the fees paid here in the states.

You can do some legwork on Taxidermy.net to look at many, many websites both close to you and across the nation. Or ask a taxidermist to send you some photos via email.

As for your zebra rug, go with the leather border, youll like it better than felt.

Have a great time on your trip!!

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys (and gal),

I've talked to a couple of taxidermist here in California and one that I've used before does good work but I've been waiting two+ years for an antelope mount that I commissioned him to do.

Another one does good work for NA species but has no samples of any African species to show me.

The prices that I've been given for fabric lined (leather edged) zebra skin rugs were $1150 - $1450

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12594 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Depending on the states laws your taxidermist might be breaking a state statue.

In Wyoming a taxidermist only has a year to return work to a client.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I don't live in Wyoming. I've had rare occasions where I went over a year, but I still wouldn't want my state that heavily in my business.

Hugh gave an exceptional rundown on what to look for. I have a rather "prosperous" client who just got back from Zimbabwe. He went with another good client but elected to leave his waterbuck and his record impala there while the other hunter brought them to me. He got his mounts back a month quicker, but the other hunter told me he was complaining that their trophies looked like separate species. I just saw them last week and I did work like that in 1960. The impala was a big male and the one sized form the Afrikaners used did not fit all the impala. They'd gobbed some filler around the neck and it looks as if it has goiter. A few days ago he called and asked me if there was anything he could do with his impala. Instead of telling him what I wanted to tell him, I told him that the only way I'd touch that mount was to buy a new cape and remount the entire animal. Like Hugh, that's what I find as "typical" African work.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of mounts from africa that are fairly recent and I haven't seen any that were that good. It seems hunters drop the big nut on the hunt and skimp on the taxidermy. You'll be looking at your mounts for the rest of your life. Do the right thing and find someone worthy of the job. Even if you can't afford it all at once, budget yourself. Mount one or two now, save up and pick away at them.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
I'm glad I don't live in Wyoming. I've had rare occasions where I went over a year, but I still wouldn't want my state that heavily in my business.

So am I, we have enough assholes.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Fjold,
PM sent

Posts: 16 | Location: Central California | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
D99, I can only assume you're speaking from experience. I've met some very nice people from Wyoming.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
I have had a shop in Wyoming for 34 years now. The regulations governing taxidermist are several pages long of lawyer double talk B.S. If the taxidermist quotes in writing on the invoice it is going to take 35 years, or whatever, on the original invoice to get a mount completed then the state can not and will not touch it. Only if a client was not promised a date for time frame and then only if a client complains directly to the Wyoming Game and Fish will they take action. It is a 11th degree misdemeanor. If a taxidermist recieves three citations within one year he can and will have his license revoked. Most Wyoming taxidermists depend heavily on out of state hunters and thier reputations so any of them that have been around more than a few years know thier "stuff" and thier business's and you will get a very good job from 99.9% of them in a timey manner. The newbes and crooks and scammers come and go like the harsh winters. BTW I charge 1200-1500. for a leather trim lined and carpet backed Zebra rug and I do quite a few and many for repeat clients from other states. FYI The Wyoming Game and Fish just last week added even more and new outragous, overburdening, useless regulations Wyoming taxidermists are required to live by; its 8 pages of lawyer double dribble talk now.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to my price list.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote