New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fish Scale preservation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had the fortune to boat a few decent tarpon last year, 75, 90 and 110 pounds [Big Grin] (estimated by the guide). Kept a scale from each and would like to know how to mount/preserve these? Presently they are sitting in my freezer.

Posts: 61 | Location: Stockholm, N.J., USA | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for a single scale you can soak it with some dawn and water for a while to get rid of some oils, then set it inside some alcohal for a while. Then set aside and let dry, it may shrink up a little. Best: Bryan

Posts: 39 | Location: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will give it a try. After this treatment, should I coat the scale with something. perhaps a clear acrylic?

Posts: 61 | Location: Stockholm, N.J., USA | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure a clear laquer will be fine. The scale will fade a bit so the clear lacquer will brighten it up.

Posts: 39 | Location: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THANKS

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I dried mine inside a dictionary for over 30 days. Initially, they were flat, but within a week each of them curled. I didn't coat them with anything and other than having a curl, they look great. I was thinking some smaller ones might make nice earrings for my wife.

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote