Find
Notify
Tools

Good Taxidermy Photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
What is a good way to take pictures of mounted animals? I see the ones on there that the taxidermits post and they are very nice, good lighting, etc.

Maybe my basement/trophy room is just to dark or something. Seems like lots of shadows and the pics are okay but not great.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Invest in quality lighting pointed on the subjects.

When I take photos of the animals in my home they never look as good as the photos that Taxidermists had taken with back drops / lighting / etc.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
You don't need specail anything.
I use regular work lights and even a flashlight sometimes for highlight. The BEST thing you can learn is to use your camera manually. NEVER use a flash. Learn your exposure and aperture settings and how to use them on manual and always use a tripod. Take some shots, lots of them ,at different setting and make NOTE of the setting then when you view your pics you see how the changes to both the exposure and the aperture setting effected your photo and adapt as needed.
You quicky will know what the camers is going to give you in different situtations.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Dennis, thanks.

Justin

One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
Hey LittleJoe, really enjoyed your post of your trip to Blauukrantz this past year. I went to Blaaukrantz in August, great trip and great folks. Animals just made it to the taxidermist.

Posts: 161 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I would really like to go back to Blaauwkrantz for the stuff I did not pursue before like Oribi, Blue Duiker and the quartet of Sprinbok. Looking forward to chatting with the Rudman's at SCI.