Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Rug
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted
I would love to have a bear rug one I took( my wife not so much). Anyway I know nothing of prep or tanning. I will not take a bear (lots of chance moose,elk and deer hunting) until I know what to do. So were do I start? I have 25 years of hunting, clean and skinning of the deer family under my belt but I'm sure there is quite a bit the learn. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
I would start with speaking to your taxidermist. He or she can advice you on what they want you to do in the field. Our clients skin the bear out and leave the paws and head in for us to take care of in the shop. If you have skinned deer, elk, etc., you will be able to skin your bear.

As with all specimens, skinning out the paws/feet and face areas requires more skill than skinning the body. You need to carefuly skin around the ears, eyes, nose, lips and get the last digits out of the paws. Something you do not want to try, if you are not experienced, on a bear you want to mount. Bears are very fatty and take quite a bit longer to flesh. Bear skins will spoil rather quickly if not handled properly and promptly. This is a procedure best left for your taxidermist to do.

Regarding prepping and tanning, unless you are a taxidermist, there is no need for you to do those steps. Home tanning is not advised for bears! Not quite sure if that is what you are asking...to prep and tan yourself? Most tanneries will not accept work from non-taxidermists.

Hope this helped answer your inquiry.

Kind Regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote