New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nyati Taxidermy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm leaving for a plainsgame hunt in Namibia in three weeks and am thinking of either Nyati or Reiser to do whatever I decide to have done there. At this point I'm planning on having bleached skulls and flat skins of everything, except for a gemsbok shoulder mount. I admit to indecision on whether to have the gemsbok done here by a guy near my home who's work is fantastic, but nearly all North American, or have the Namibian taxidermist do that as well as the skulls and skins. Anyone have any recent experience with Nyati?

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I can send you some pictures if you give me your e-mail

AD

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are referring to Nyati Wildlife Art in Windhoek, they do good work from what I've seen. My PH recommended Nyati and took us to their facility. We met the principal and viewed all of their work both in the showroom and mounts in the process to be shipped to clients. This was in May of this year. I was most particular about quality as I had taken a leopard and naturally wanted good work.

Our mounts will not be ready until probably Nov. of this year. I was impressed on their packing methods for shipment. They use cardboard crates and foam fill each to eliminate airspaces.

Their fees appear reasonable.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
At the risk of pompassness, the best taxidermists in the world are right here in the good old USA and Canada. I'm not trying to start a civil war between continents either. The practice of taxidermy was perfected here and the artisans are non pariel. I've seen the work done by many African studios, and with few exceptions "one size fits all" is the rule. I have a friend who just got his record book impala back. He said I was more expensive, but after he paid the freight, we're about the same. The only difference in the impala I did for a friend of his versus the one he got was that my impala didn't look like it had goiter. This is the same guy who spent $1300 getting a Roe buck mounted in Austria rather than bringing it back here. The sad thing was that at that price, my granddaughter could do better work. He's just a slow learner.

The thing that always chafes me is that PH's and outfitters will convince you that "their" taxidermist are more familiar with the game than we are. That's pure bull. Carl Akeley was the father of modern taxidermy and he traveled there extensively. Sculptors from here have gone to Africa and our molds are world class while there often you get the antiquated method of having your trophy suffed with excelsior and plaster of Paris.

If you doubt this, to to Wildlife Artistry.com or Artisty of Wildlife.com

I'm sure this will light a fire, but it's just MY OPINION.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well, I happen to agree with George. I've vistited some large studios in Namibia and RSA and was not impressed. I always recommend my clients have their trophies shipped back to the USA.

That is not to say there isn't poor quality here, there is, but do your research and you will find a skilled taxidermist.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I used Nyati in May 2005. As I type this, I am looking at three of my trophies right now. They did fantastic work. I believe they had only then recently moved into a new shop, but it was highly organized and we were able to see quite a bit of their finished and in process work. I have not had much taxy work done, but my friend who actually planned this hunt for us, has had a large amount of taxy work done. He is very particular about who he uses, and felt Nyati was a class outfit.

They delivered as promised, no surprises. They packing was outstanding, and all arrived in the US in great shape.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with George on this one until I see photos to prove otherwise.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
isn't it interesting how the taxidermists from the US who post on this forum are the main ones who blow the horn for American taxidermy compared to anywhere else in the world. while denigrating work done anywhere else. bottom line is that there is good taxidermy work done in Africa as well as here- the difference is good taxidermy work in Africa is still a lot cheaper than good taxidermy work done here. check out george roof's post on this subject in the past and you will begin to understand the meaning of the word "bias"

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13448 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Jdollar,

But by the time you send the full mounted heads back, most of your savings will be eaten up in shipping.

And Ive been to SA and Zim and seen the work there. And Im a US taxidermist so Im biased. But most work done over there is far below what you can get over here. Its your money, spend it how you want.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
All American taxidermist are not better. There are just MORE U.S. taxidermists producing high quality work. Not bias, just fact. And it does not have to cost " a lot more."

This topic comes up a lot and it seems to never end so I am not sure why I am typing this, but here goes. horse

I am a U.S. taxidermist and I post here every now and then , but I do not "denigrate" others work unless they ask me to Smiler

There are plenty of African taxidermists who produce work that is of a quality level acceptable to many hunters. You do not have to be good at taxidermy to stay in business.

Work that satisfies clients is not necesarily good, high quality work IMO. To me, quality work must have longevity and be visually close to how a live animal looks. This includes the visible details/correct colors of the eyes, the inner ears, the inner nostrils, believable habitat, appropriate posture, behavior, attitude, etc.. Without these details, the work looks un life-like to me, and unfinished. The client does not have to care about these details but the taxidermist should know better!
That is why taxidermy competitions are judged by taxidermists, not by hunters.

The fact is that MOST of the work from African studios that I and other U.S. taxidermists have seen is lacking in detail. I have seen more examples of attention to detail by U.S. taxidermists.

Do not cofuse higher work standards with bias.
If I saw more high quality work in Africa than in the U.S. I would certainly say so.

It appears to me that many of the taxidermists in Africa do not use reference material such as close up photos, casts, etc.. when mounting animals. The results of this assembly line approach to taxidermy is not noticed by all hunters but it is very obvious to many taxidermists and those that closely study animals.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar: bottom line is that there is good taxidermy work done in Africa as well as here- the difference is good taxidermy work in Africa is still a lot cheaper than good taxidermy work done here.

It is NOT alot CHEAPER!

Yes, there are some good taxidermist in Africa But, the so called good ones are not cheaper. It is the poor taxidermist that is a little cheaper and in some cases more expensive, then add on the shipping. I have also compared prices with a few that some have posted on here and they are not cheaper either. What I see is some post saying ,"I paid x amount of dollars to so and so in S.A. and it was cheaper then the U.S. guys". The problem with this is it was years ago when the Rand was 14 to 1 , not so anymore.

Now refer to Graftons post for the rest of what I think, He nailed it for sure.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
jdollar, would you mind playing along a bit? Would you name me ONE African taxidermist who is a World Champion? I can go to Michigan or Texas and get you a couple dozen. Pick up the SCI magazine and see who has the full page and half page advertisements. Go to an SCI convention and see where the finest trophy animals were mounted. Damned right, I'm biased. I'm always biased when I'm right.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does not matter who is the best...what does matter is that the person paying for the service is happy with what he paid for. Can't we say the same things about PH's, outfitters, hunting areas, gunsmiths and just about anything else? Everyone's situation may be different.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Woodrow

Very sound comment.

thanks

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with George on this one, I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would get their taxidermy work done in Africa. Kinda like why would a guy marry an ugly woman (unless she's rich). I guess it just looks good enough to them. rotflmo

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Has anyone recently worked with Nyati Wildlife Art? I am deciding between them and Trophyendienste (sp?). I have been impressed by the follow up, quality, and turnaround with Nyati. They also come highly recommended by Pam Forrester. Trophy work to include elephant, hippo, zebra, and roan. Thanks.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Just a personal preference but I won't let anyone touch my stuff but my local guy that does my stuff. I have no doubt that there are some great taxidermists out there but I am not willing to take a chance when I already know the work I will get here.

Justin

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The BLB:
Has anyone recently worked with Nyati Wildlife Art? I am deciding between them and Trophyendienste (sp?). I have been impressed by the follow up, quality, and turnaround with Nyati. They also come highly recommended by Pam Forrester. Trophy work to include elephant, hippo, zebra, and roan. Thanks.

just curious- what did Karl recommend?

One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Trophandienste, en route between WDH international and domestic airports. Their operations seem very large. They also have a huge curio shop at their site. My main concern is the 12 month estimated delivery time. I know that could mean they are that good and therefore that busy, but what I'm having done is relatively straight forward and frankly, don't feel like waiting 12 months for my trophies.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
man, if you get any finished trophies out of Africa in under a year, you done good!. of course it can be done- but rarely. raw stuff, yes- finished stuff- good luck.

One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Nyati promised Jan 14 (and I have a good BS radar). Something to think about when you go back.

Beau

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
are these finished trophies or raw products? i quit bringing stuff home 3 years ago as the trophy room and most of the house is jammed full. HOWEVER, if i get lucky and get a Lord Derby Eland and/or forest buffalo or roan in Cameroun( not allowed to shoot both) next March, i will have to rethink my strategy clap
the buff skull i shot in Zim got here in 6 months but everything else i have shot took at least 1 year and most 18-24 months! at my age, i sometimes wonder if i will live long enough to see them arrive....

One of Us
Picture of John B Taxidermy
posted Hide Post
Travis de Villiers, of Limpopo Province. First place in the pre-sculpted division at this years World Taxidermy Championship, on his first entry there EVER! You want to have your work done there, by a competent young Taxidermist ... there you go. Or, you can bring your trophies to me ... either way you will not be disappointed! Many Taxidermists from Africa simply cannot afford to come here to the World Championship, so that doesn't mean squat. There are 'World Champions' who have won a title that are not deserving of such a title. I was just there at this years World Show, and the majority of the entries were laughable at best, with many of them making the rounds at every state and National show there is over the past two or three years. Just open a trade magazine and there they were ... well before the 'big' show.

Some of Travis' work can be seen here ...
https://www.facebook.com/travseye

E-mail me at john@johnbtaxidermy.com for either mine or Travis' contact info.

Improving the Quality and Status of Taxidermy Since 1970.

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Jdollar - the plan is ivory on wood pedestals, hippo skull, zebra rug, and roan shoulder mount. Nothing too fancy.

How about the bongo next year ???

Beau

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
well, hopefully it will be Lord Derby Eland( primary animal) and either roan or forrest buffalo if i get an eland- you are only allowed 2 of the 3 animals. bongo will be the next year along with forrest sitatunga or buffalo if i don't get one next year. i realize i am getting a bit ahead of myself but it is nice to dream! clap

One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
Travis is truly an artist in the ultimate sense of the word and I would love to have him mount my trophies.. But John, you have to admit, he is the exception amongst most African taxidermy.

Posts: 215 | Location: colyfornnia | Registered: 13 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
Sorry for hijacking the thread. As long as your happy with the work you get at the price you paid no one else matters.

max

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxart:
Travis is truly an artist in the ultimate sense of the word and I would love to have him mount my trophies.. But John, you have to admit, he is the exception amongst most African taxidermy.

Oh, absolutely. But for anyone hunting in his area, and in South Africa in general, he is the man to see. He is also a World Show winner, and I just wanted to squash that notion. Though not with a mount, but with an original sculpture of a Vervet Monkey. Once that little gem is molded and cast, there will be a new and terrific mannikin on the market for all of us to use! Wink I can't wait to see what he comes up with next in the way of mounts and mannikins! Smiler

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
Oh Man ! He has unbelievable skills , and at a young age. we'er lucky that he uses the Taxidermy medium for his artistic skills.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxart:
Oh Man ! He has unbelievable skills , and at a young age. we'er lucky that he uses the Taxidermy medium for his artistic skills.

Yes, Lucky! Lucky and blessed! Wink I know he has started on a new African Lion mannikin ... he's been working on the head. Great things there ... great things! Wink

One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Absent the hijack threat of this thread, still looking for positive/negative reviews of Nyati Wildlife Art.

Beau

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The BLB:
Absent the hijack threat of this thread, still looking for positive/negative reviews of Nyati Wildlife Art.

13 or 14 times over the pond, just my two cents. Don't use African Taxidermist. Shipping kills any saving you have. you have no recorse if something is bad, no recorse on delays. no recorse on missing trophies. did not have a good exp. with Nyati. When I first started hunting I did not go with the very best taxidermist always looking for a deal. THAT WAS A MISTAKE!!! I have had some of my early work done in Africa redone. You will look at the trophy the rest of your days on this earth. Don't skimp.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done Taxidermy for 20+ years. I think I am a good judge.
I had some work done by Nyati because where I live I have no room to mount.
Their work looks like new students of Northwest.
Spray can black noses, poor ears, wrinkles etc.
Send your animals home.

Posts: 121 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote