Find
Notify
Tools

gemsbok tail
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted
has anybody done anything with a gemsbok or gnu tail ? would you be so kind to post pics ?
any ideas welcome .

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Well I'm planning on just these things from my May 2008 trip to Namibia. After my blackwildebeest was skinned at the shed I told the PH to ask the skinners to also cut and save and salt the tail for me and I'm having it tanned in Namibia as part of my trophy preps there. Same thing from the first gemsbok I got there this year. Once these get home here, I'll simply punch a small hole in the base or upper part of the tail and hang them on a small nail or brad on the walls somewhere in my trophy room. I of course don't have any pictures yet (uunless you want to see them lying in the salt in the skinning shed).

I also did a similiar thing with a zebra and blue wildebeest tail from my first trip to Africa in 2003. The zebra tail I cut off the tanned backsin I had sent home ( the rest of the zebra backsin was turned into sofa pillows) and the tail from the blue wildebeest I stretched and dried (after some minor rehydration so I could get it to lie flat) on a pice of plywood and them trimmed it to a nicer shape than the tanning process left it, and then using a paper punch, put a hole in the base or upper part of the tail and these now hang in my trophy room under one of my windows. Thos I could take a picture of and either post here or send to you in a pm or eamil.

Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
You can always make a fly swish out of them. I had my Gemsbok tail done like this two years ago and will have the same thing done with my Black Wildebeest tail this year.

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
colin any pics ? what did you use for a handle ?
Thanks
ej

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
I had the entire thing done by the taxidermist, but you could probably do it yourself after the tail is tanned. The handle is wooden, but I don't know what type of wood.

Colin

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I have had both a gemsbok and a black wildebeest tail made like this. It works as a fly swish / addition to the trophy room.. In my opinion a trophy room needs other stuff than just regular mounts.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Here's an African lion's tail made into a knife sheath.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote