New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer nose?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How do I make the nose on my deer mount shiny?
What product should I use?
Thanks
Elmer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy Elmer,

Making a good deer nose is actually quite a bit mor complicated than many would think. To really make a deer nose shine the nose should be textured properly in the mounting process. There are many different methods for this. For me I begin by thinning the nose pad extremely thin. Then on my form I will lay a thin layer of non-shrink clay over the nose pad area. Once the nose is mounted but still wet I will press the detail of each nodule on the nose pad into the clay. This helps maintian a lumpy textured look. Once said deer is dry and ready for finnish I will put ModPodge in a syringe and slowly add modpodge to the surface of the nodules, not in the depressions to help raise and define the nodules. At this point the nodule will also start to get a High gloss finish on them. After that dries I will do my paint work on nose pad. I will finish with plain old Rustoleum High gloss finish sprayed onto a brish and lightly dripped onto the nose. It is a lot better to see it done in person but I hoped this helped you.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do I make the nose on my deer mount shiny?
What product should I use?
Thanks
Elmer

Use a red light bulb!!!! dancing

one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I do the same as smarterthanu, but when I start my painting I use a white base coat followed by red...... ya, red..... stay with now......starting at and including the lower lip and fade out about half way to the top.
Next, I spray a dark brown from each side and from the top. This will leave a pinkie flesh color down in the creases. I follow with a very very..... did I say VERY light coat of black from the top.
I finish it with a couple of coats of gloss.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
All very good advise, my only input would be to use pictures of LIVE deer as reference, and don't go by someone elses mount.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote