Find
Notify
Tools

Gunny's Buff
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted
Here's a half body Bison we just finished for R.Lee Ermey...better known as TV's Gunny from the Learning Channels"MAIL CALL"
Sump'n different

Posts: 215 | Location: colyfornnia | Registered: 13 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Now that is way cool!

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TMTAXIDERMY
posted Hide Post

Posts: 138 | Location: Dardanelle, Arkansas | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mount looks very well done but the horns don't look like any American Bison I have ever seen. Is this a cross with something ? The horns look cattle like. Was this a pen raised animal?

One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
This animal was taken in northern california on a 6200 ac ranch. I filmed the hunt.There were two large herds on this property and I didn't see any that looked cross bred, they sure new what we were there for though... we walked our butts off.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
That's very cool, some how or another I knew that guy was a hunter. Well done.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
Hey Jerry, That guy is a hunt'n fool, and funny as hell...Great guy
Unfortunatly for us, he leaves most of his taxidermy to be done wherever he happens to be at.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met "The Gunny" here in Houston at the NRA convention, he was a heck'uva guy.

He said doing Mail Call was the most fun he had ever had with his clothes on.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work on the mount. I have never been a fan of the rocks in the back, but you have a talent making them.

Those horns are the oddest Bison horns I have ever seen; coming forward with an odd curl. I know that the UDWR here in Utah have genetic tested many bison and have found cattle genes in most samples. Hard to believe that is the cause for the odd horn shape.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Very unique mount. I like it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew what you were telling me about the mount and especially the base on the phone. That said I really still didnt appreciate it until I saw the picture. Nice job my friend!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo C:
The mount looks very well done but the horns don't look like any American Bison I have ever seen. Is this a cross with something ? The horns look cattle like. Was this a pen raised animal?

Not to talk shit about the quality of the work in general but those horns look WAAY too far forward on the head. For that matter, it looks like the horns may have been switched right for left by the odd angles going on there. Also, what's with the forward angle? Looks like a black wildebeest. OK.....that honesty aside, I would like to see the trophy photos from the hunt because maybe the actual animal had this sort of odd look and your work is an absolutely perfect representation of him. Please don't take the above personally....you clearly do great work and this is a very creatively posed mount.

tu2

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
That is a quality mount, the work looks fantastic but I agree with tendrams on the horns, I went and looked at a bull just a few miles away and it's horns didn't look anything like that. Just looks weird to me.

Steve E..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we mount 10 to 12 bison a year and this one did have some funky shaped horns. Looking back at the footage of the animal the large long forward sweep of the horns and the lack of the heavy hair around them make'em look funky. But thats the way it looked.And I think the pictures exagerate it somehow,it dos'nt look that weird in person. All the same it is the what it is.
And I like weird Big Grin

Max