New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oregon extends deadline to June 1st.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just lettin the people who put in for tags, Fish and wildlife extended the deadline from May 15 to June 1st.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I completely forgot about putting in for my pronghorn tag.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd rather they stuck to the game plan. Here's the deadline, you either make it or you don't.

Posts: 286 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Point of Sale electronic system had several malfunctions which were delaying the applications; they extended the deadline to deal with these technical issues.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeonardC

I'd rather they stuck to the game plan. Here's the deadline, you either make it or you don't.

As it should be for controlled hunts such as pronghorn. Still I'm glad for this extension because of my forgetfulness. I was too busy getting ready for my Europe trip this month. Also, the place where I usually buy my tags was at Joe's and, you know, that's going, going, gone.

I like the way they do it in Alaska. I fly up there, buy my license and tags, and go hunting right away. I also like being able to use tags for the animal of choice and, if need be, use it for another animal of equal or lesser tag value. That might encourage more people to hunt Oregon.

There are fewer and fewer hunting in Oregon each year and we need as much revenue as we can get to ensure that our resources are protected, not to mention that it keeps alive our hunting heritage.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
more likely the economy has resulted in less than the minimum number of hunters applying, and they need more money.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
SALEM, Ore.— ODFW has extended the controlled hunt deadline until June 1 due to the large volume of applications and a slowdown in the license sales system.

“We understand the frustration customers and license sales vendors are experiencing and we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused,” said Roy Elicker, ODFW director. “We are dealing with a system problem that has slowed down service, and we are working around the clock with our vendor, Outdoor Central, to get the problem fixed.”

Typically every year, May 15 is the controlled hunt deadline. On May 12, ODFW extended the deadline to May 19 due to a slowdown in the license sales system believed to be caused by the high volume of sales activity in the days leading up to the deadline. The system continues to be slow so ODFW is extending the deadline further.

To ease the long lines, ODFW is making mail/fax order controlled hunt applications available at all ODFW offices and license sales locations. The application is also available on page 15 of the 2009 Oregon Big Game Regulations. Individuals can also download the application from the ODFW website. It's called 2009 Big Game Mail Order Application Form under Licenses and Fees section of Web site.

Hunters can fill out the application and either drop it off at an ODFW office; mail it to ODFW Licensing, 3406 Cherry Ave. NE, Salem, OR 97303; or fax it to 503 947-6117/6113. Mailed applications must be postmarked by June 1; dropped-off applications given to an ODFW office by close-of-business or 5 p.m. on June 1; and faxed applications received by 11:59 p.m. PT June 1.

Hunters are also encouraged to apply for controlled hunts online. Online sales are not experiencing the slowness that sales at license agents are, especially when done early in the morning or later in the evening.

Hunters need to purchase a hunting license and obtain a Hunter/Angler ID number before they can apply for a controlled hunt, but the license purchase can be made simultaneously. Hunter/Angler ID numbers stay the same from year to year, so even if you have not yet purchased a 2009 hunting license, you can write in your past ID number on your application.

The deadline extension will also delay the controlled hunt draw and results notification. The draw will occur by June 15 instead of June 5 and hunters will be mailed results notification no later than July 1, rather than by June 20. Draw results are usually made available online at the same time that notification postcards mailed. Any leftover controlled hunt tags will go on sale July 15 at 10 a.m. PT rather than July 1.

“We recognize these delays may impact planning for the fall hunts and we apologize again for any inconvenience,” said Elicker.

Some of Oregon’s big game hunts are limited entry, including almost all rifle hunting of deer and elk east of the Cascades and pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep, and Rocky Mountain goat hunts. These hunts require a controlled hunt application.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote