Find
Notify
Tools

wyoming public land hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
I was looking for an area of public land that would require a hike in and camping to hunt for antelope. Is there such an area. Not looking for a throphy just a chance to see a few antelopes. My boys and I have done alot of backpacking. Want to have a decent chance at a draw if possible.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There is no real need to backpack when hunting antelope. Wyoming has so much BLM land that most people just drive around or pick an area and glass around water.

Antelope prefer wide open areas so they can see, as this is their best defense next to their speed.

I am sure there are areas where you could backpack into, but it really would limit the amount of country you would see when hunting.

Camping is always an option and then traveling around by 4X4 to look and scout for animals.

If you are deadset on backpacking, deer or elk hunting would be a much more suitable animal to chase.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look around Douglas or the Casper Area...

no need to camp.. get your BLM maps and drive the 2 tracks.... then glass... and stalk could be 5 yards or 5000

the rut is around mid Oct. easy pickens...

I have read dozens of books by hero's and crooks and have learned much from both of their styles!

Posts: 104 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tonto,

Just a couple of other words of advice. If you go out there, make sure you verify your area maps at one of the information stations at various locations (check with the Wyoming fish and game for specific stations) before you begin to hunt. Although much of the public areas do not change, there are areas that get swapped between public and private each year.

In my opinion, you need three things: a good accurate map (updated with area changes), a GPS, and balls. The map and gps are a tag team that will confidently tell you whether or not you are on public or private land. The balls come in when "Outfitters" try to run you off of public land. What happens is they streak in and rage that you are on private property and you need to leave immediately. If you get approached by one of the yahoos, tell 'em where to stick it - just be darn sure you are on public land (map+gps). We have been hassled quite a bit by these jokers and it can get confrontational so just be confident, accurate, and firm.

douglast

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Tonto,
I understand that their are conflicts with outfitters, but I have never had one hunting western Wyoming in 23 years. It may be common to the eastern areas where there are higher antelope populations.

Almost any area is good, but of particular note is around Casper, Douglas, the Red Desert, Shirley Basin, Jeffery City and between Pinedale and Rock Springs.

Do it on your own. You won't need an outfitter. You'll have plenty of opportunities. There is plenty of camping and the weather is generally nice that time of year and the fishing can be great. It is not a backpack hunt. You'll drive around, then spot and stalk. Good binoc, a spotting scope and shooting sticks or a bipod are a great help. Do get a good map and touch base with game and fish. These guys are usually great to work with and would like to see you be successful.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tonto: I hunted in Area 32 south of Casper last year and I can tell you that my research of hunting areas showed that there are enough roads or trails throughout the countryside that you would find it difficult to get far enough away from one to make it worthwhile to backpack in. BLM maps are available that will show you the public lands and the roads/trails that pass through them for the entire state:

http://www.wy.blm.gov/faqs/wynf-0014.pdf

As has been previously mentioned, make sure you verify that the public lands shown on the map are indeed public - many of the BLM maps are out-of-date, so you have to get into a BLM office to verify their accuracy. Even then you might run into a rancher who thinks that having grazing rights means he controls the land - I did.

Use the Wyoming Game and Fish website to show you draw odds for the various antelope areas throughout the state - a lot of the well-thought of areas for antelope have lousy odds for non-residents:

http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/stats/demand/2004/index.asp?ft=NA&yr=2004

On the up side, there is a lot of beautiful country out there and, contrary to what some think, you can actually park your vehicle and hunt off your feet for a truly great time.

Thanks, Dad, for taking me into the Great Outdoors.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.
I took some guesses I put in for first choice #27 23% draw 2nd choice #32 50% draw and 3rd choice #12 %100 draw. Not sure if Ill go if I draw #12 but it has a 3000ac + walk in hunting area. Doesnt have to be the best hunting in the world as ill have the best company in the world 2 of my 3 sons.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tonto:
Thanks everyone.
I took some guesses I put in for first choice #27 23% draw 2nd choice #32 50% draw and 3rd choice #12 %100 draw. Not sure if Ill go if I draw #12 but it has a 3000ac + walk in hunting area. Doesnt have to be the best hunting in the world as ill have the best company in the world 2 of my 3 sons.
Dean

Tonto,
Do be advised and very aware that once you draw out (and you will for area 12) and are successful, if you dont go, there is no refund with Wyoming. You eat it, all 3 of them. Unless something has changed in that regard ?

To get a refund, one has to submit the "withdrawal" form before the draw. After the "successful" draw, you'll need to produce some death certificates for your refund(s).
Info only. Good luck.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a Wyoming backpack hunt, go after big mule deer at the edge of the Tetons above the timber line.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote