Find
Notify
Tools

Rangefinder suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted
I am in the market for a rangefinder for long range deer hunting. I expect the maximum range to be in the neighborhood of 800 yards. Do you have any suggestions? Please share any experience with the various available models, good or bad.

Thanks,

cwilson

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
CWilson
I bought a Leica last year and used it in AK for
caribou.Small and easy to use.I like it.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
<MNTNMAN>
posted
I am still looking for any rangefinder that is worth a pinch of poop. I would just like to find one that will work at 200 yrds let alone 800.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned a couple. Here's my thoughts:

Bushnell Yardage Pro 400 - I bought this model a few years after they came out. It worked well considering they were failry new. I could range out to about 350 yards most of the time. It was pretty inconsistent compared to the models out today. It was a good "first time" unit.

Nikon Laser 800 - This unit beat the Bushnell Yardage Pro 400 hands-down. It gave very consistent reads out to ~500 yards with up to 600 yards being possible if the conditions were right. It looked to be identical to the Bushnell Laser 800 and was probably made by the same company. I didn't like the battery cover on this unit. It wasn't a screw-type cover so it came off easily and came loose once just riding in my pack. I'd hate to loose that cover the first day of a big trip!!

My thoughts on the units currently out there today:

The Bushnell 600 Scout model looks like a very nice unit for the $$. It's very small and would work well for the range or field. If your on a budget, try this one or the Bushnell 800.

If you have a few extra $$ get the Leica 800 or preferably the 1200. I've tried them out and they are superb! I'm ording a 1200 for myself this month. I would have purchased one already but a friend who sells them said to wait until now to make sure they have had a chance to work the bugs out of the 1200 as it is a new model. I use rangefinder for bowhunting, range work, and long range hunting. I like being able to range as close as 10 yards to as far as 600 yards(consisntently in the field). The Leica 1200 looks to be able to do all this and more. Plus, the optics are great, the unit is small, no battery cover problem and the red LED display is VERY easy to read in low light.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Get the Leica that fits your budget. I've had an LRF 800 since they came out and it FAR exceeds the Simmons, Bushnell, Nikon, & Tasco products I've tried.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I am on my 5th laser. The Bushnell 600 is a STEAL,for the performance(weighed against investment).

The Leica 800LRF is a POS. Tasco worse,Simmons even worse. The Bushnell 400 a thing of the past.

I have had the Leica 1200LRF for over three weeks. It works like a laser SHOULD. It is by FAR,the best of the models/brands mentioned by me.

My humble suggestion is to cut to the chase,get the Leica 1200LRF and live happily ever after(unless the 50BMG is your gig). The 1200LRF is housed in the 800's body,but really delivers and is complete with quality Leica optics.

She's a Good'Un and SWFA made me the best deal(hint,hint)............

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting mine from SWFA also. I talked to Chris today to see if he's had any issues with the 1200 as it's a "new" model. He said everything coming back has been VERY positive but they were out so I couldn't order one yet!!

<ChuckD>
posted
I have a Bushnell Scout--fits in a shirt pocket (the reason I bought it) it is good for about 500 yds. The optics are not very good, so ranging is the only task they are up to. Nikon is the same exact product. Chuck

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I have had a Ranging coincidence type rangefinder for several years and have been pleased with it.
If you can see the target you can range it, batteries and associated hassles are non-existent, it is relatively small, lightweight and slim so it fits in a pack well.
Best is the price...$100.00

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had the Leica LRF800 since the first year they were out. Even sent mine back in when they said you could, just to see if anything was going to go wrong with it (also, I know some of the folks up there and asked them to check it out for me, just in case) They returned my unit to me w/ a note that there wasn't anything wrong w/ the unit and that the fix they had put in the one's that had had problems they had put in my unit. (seems they put in a redundant circuit on the ranging portion of the electronics).
I've never, NEVER had a problem with mine. I've successfully ranged up to 914 yards (a large tree as the target) and consistently have been able to range a wild turkey-sized target at ranges up to 500 yards.
For the money, the Leica optics are second to none and better than a lot out there.
Get the Leica, either the 800 or the 1200, you'll definately get your money's worth. [Big Grin]

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
I thank everyone for their input. It seems that the Leica LRF1200 ($469 at Midsouth) may be worth the extra $100 over the Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 ($369 at Midsouth) I think I will find and compare the specificatons for each. Does anyone have prices for the Leica LRF1200 that beats Midsouth?

cwilson

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a bushnell 1000 for sale. it's used for one hunting season but looks like brand new.i'll let go of it for 295.00 including shipping. email me if you interested

Posts: 78 | Location: DFW, TEXAS | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Chris at SWFA.com 8-5 CST and see what he can do. The number is (972)617-7056.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CWILSON check out Newcon optic before you buy. I have heard the internals on the LRM 1500 are the same as the Leika LRF 1200. I have not had a great deal of time to check mine out, but have had no problems with it yet. The aiming box seems a little big, but it also has a cross hair mode. I am very satisfied with it so far. Retail on it is $349.00 You can check them out at www.newcon-optic.com If you are interested and can't find a dealer that has one let me know. Ken

Posts: 45 | Location: Vista, CA USA | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPS! try this link http://www.newcon-optik.com/

Ken

Posts: 45 | Location: Vista, CA USA | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cwilson,

I have a webpage with info and reviews on rangefidners at

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/rangefinders.html

Happy ranging.

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote