New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duplex vs. German #4
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've never used a German #4 reticle but it looks interesting. How are these for hunting purposes compared to a standard Duplex?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not used that particular reticle either, but all the german reticles I've used have been like normal duplex crosshairs with the top vertical one (12 o'clock) removed. So in essence, there are three crosshairs, (3, 6, and 9 o'clock). I prefer the American duplex probably because that's what I was raised on.

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Big_R, your description fits the nr. 4 to perfection [Big Grin] . There's also the 4A,i.e. the same with more space between bars. Both reticles, thanks to the reticle being placed in the first focal plane, will serve as a handy instant range finder.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I compared the 4a to the standard duplex over several months while getting ready to hunt hogs at night. Both reticles were in Leupold M-8 4x scopes on proven 30-06 Mauser rifles. I shot in daylight, dawn/dusk, under full and partial moonlight and with artificial illuminiation from Jeep headlights and a big Maglite.

I shot from the bench only in daylight. I used field positions and improvised rests for all other testing. From the bench I used targets with a round black aiming point on a buff background. For all other tests, I mixed these targets with improvised targets. These were irregular in shape with off-center trianglular black aiming points on a medium brown background. These targets also had green and brown stripes and light oversprays to simulate a hog partially hidden in brush. (In some cases, I also put these targets behind a light screen of brush.) I shot the night tests on a rural range about forty miles from Seattle to get away from the ambient glow of a major city. I was 40 at the time, with astigmatism that is corrected with glasses.

I found that I could hit things more quickly with the 4a at dawn and dusk, and that both reticles worked surprisingly well in most of my tests.

The effective range of both reticles under full moonlight is about 50 meters. The 4a had less of an edge than I expected because of its lightweight top leg. (At night, the three lower legs may be obscured by terrain and vegetation, but the sky is somewhat lighter than the reticle and you use the top leg to orient yourself.)

Under headlights or a big Maglite both reticles work as in daylight unless the target is near the edge of the illuminated area. Then the 4a has a slight edge in speed. Effective range under artificial light is limited by the strength of the light, not the reticle.

Because the central portion of the 4a is finer than that of a duplex reticle, it is easier for me to shoot small groups on paper with it.

My final conclusion? The 4a is a slightly superior all-round reticle. It gives up nothing to the duplex in daylight, is about the same in darkness, and is slightly faster to use at dawn or dusk. It would be better if the top leg had a thick portion as the other legs do. Dawn and dusk are very long during hunting seasons in western Washington, especially in the timber and mixed forest where I hunt, so the 4a is my choice. Your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps, Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7a reticle is the same as the 4a but includes the heavy top post instead of a fine top post.
Basically the 7a is a much improved duplex.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Safarischorsch>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Nebraska:
I've never used a German #4 reticle but it looks interesting. How are these for hunting purposes compared to a standard Duplex?

When you have daylight the standard duplex is just about perfect, but in germany #4 is better because of the missing thick hair from above because in germany boars are hunted at night very often.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Safarischorsch, I'm not following you. Can you explain more? Thanks, Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own both reticles in the Leupold VX III 1.5-5 X and prefer the German Number 4. In fast shooting situations my eye is drawn to target much quicker and in low light the #4 reticle is a little easier to use.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The devil is in the detail!

There are a number of combinations

#4 thick posts and thick cross hair (Zeiss and S&B)

#4 thick posts and thin cross hair (Old Swarovski)

#4 thin posts and thin cross hair (New Swarovski [Mad] )

The old swarovski is an excellent compromise the thick posts are easy to see and being close together the small gap allows good low light positioning of the aim even if you cannot see the fine cross hair on the animal. The cross hair is fine enough for precision.

The new Swarovski has much thinner posts which is is a pity.

4a has a bigger gap between posts and needs a thicker cross hair as a result.

The missing top post(as opposed to a duplex)allows more light in.

The

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my hunting ( moose,roe deer and red deer ), the German #4 is the best there is.
I have used a Leupold VX III 2,5-8x36 with #4 reticle those last years, and I find the combo very satisfying. Right now it sits on top of my Ruger 35 Whelen to be tested up north next week.
I find the # 4 retickle easier to pick up in dusk and dawn situations, and against dark background.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote