New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antelope with muzzleloader ?
 Login/Join

<maghunter7mm>
posted
I love to hunt with my muzzle loader, but my favorite muzzle loader deer unit has just changed to center fire. So I plan on going antelope hunting next year with my muzzle loader, and I was wondering if anybody had any tips. I have never hunted antelope before, how do you get close enough for a good shot? This unit is flat with small sage brush and farm fields, making it almost impossible to put a sneak on them. I've heard that they are a curious animal, and if you wave around a white flag they will come to investigate. Is there any truth to this? Thanks for any help.

<monyhunter>
posted
I saw at a local gun shop that they have a video out now that shows how to use a call and a decoy to lure them in close enough for a bow!! It looked like the system worked, but I have never tried it, nor do I remember what it was called.

I have seen a ton of "speed goats" this year. I think I might try getting drawn for next falls hunt as well. I don't think I will try with a muzzle loader though.

Has anyone else heard or seen the "call" and "decoy" system before?

------------------
Monyhunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
The longer I hunt antelope, the shorter the shots get. Study the habits of a herd and the features of their territory. Somewhere in their daily life will be a mistake you can take advantage of. There are antelope calls; I bought one but have not had occasion to use it yet. I have heard antelope vocalize, so think it will probably work. I was pleasantly surprised at the efficacy of an elk cow call, last year.

Tom

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<maghunter7mm>
posted
thanks for the info, I was wondering though if you meant that you used a cow elk call for antelope? very interesting.