THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Which factory load for 30-06 - Deer & Elk

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which factory load for 30-06 - Deer & Elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a single factory load to shoot out of my 30-06 for both deer and elk. All deer will be within 200 yds and the elk will be out to perhaps 300 yds, but most likely under 200. I realize I should shoot the load which is most accurate out of my rifle, but I would like some opinions as to what load (manufacturer, type/weight bullet) you would select. So go ahead, throw some ideas my way. One final question - is the win partition gold bullet the same (except for the lubaloy coating)as the nosler partition one finds in factory fed premium loads.
Thanks.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Federal Premium with 180 grain Barnes TSX or as a second but equally as good choice, Nosler Partitions.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
See how Winchester Fail-Safe's shoot out of your rifle too. 300 yards with an -06 on elk is getting at the very far end. Once you've packed an elk out of a distant hole you won't want to do it again.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agee with SBT. My '06 doesn't like any factory load but it shoots the 180 TSX into an inch consistently with the Fedreral loading.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I went with the TSX (I believe it is available in 1 or 2 Fed Premium factory loads and have heard good things about its accuracy), can I expect it to open up sufficiently on deer, or will it give me pencil thin entrance and exit holes? Appreciate your responses.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will fourth the Federal TSX. I have several '06 and two of them would not group with every factory ammo I tried. Finally got my hands on some 180 gr. TSX Vital Shock Federal ammo and both of these will group MOA with this ammo. I would prefer the 168 gr. but have not seen it loaded in the factory fodder. As to deer sized game, I have not taken one but have read of some penciled exit wounds but hey it did provide a blood trail I am told.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try the federal high energy ammo loaded with the 180 gn nosler ...i have shot a truck load of animals with this ammo and have great results
the tsx is great when it works as its suppose to but every so often on just seems to act as a fmj and pencil through ...and that leaves a sour taste in ones mouth, the other point you need to consider is will the tsx expand at longer ranges especially on light game animals like the 180 nosler
Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I had great results with Federal Premiums loaded with 180 grain Noslers. Shot great in my rifle, amd more importantly killed quickly.

The High Energy loads didn't shoot that well for me, I liked the additional velocity though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal 180 trophy bonded bear claws.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinions thus far. I have a couple of questions. First, I know the Failsafes kill elk cleanly, but are they too much (might fail to expand sufficiently) on a 140lb deer? Second, while I have read what a great bullet the TBBC is for larger game, is it too much bullet for deer as well? Appreciate your opinions.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
TBBCs are not too much bullet for deer. Period. They are a great game bullet, though I haven't tried the newer ones since they changed jacket material.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Hornady 30-06 165 grain Interbond Item #81159

Interesting thread on the 165 grain 30 caliber Hornady Interbond

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
We hunt Deer and Elk at the same time here and I use Federal Premium 180 Noslers out of my .300.I see no need to try anything else as this combo works great on both Deer and Elk.My buddy uses the High Energy 180's also with the 180 Nosler, in his .06 with the same results.

Good luck...Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My old man shoots elk all the time with his 30-06 and 180 grain core lokts. (Even at 300 yards). Bullets have been recovered under the far side hide from almost every one he has shot (regardless of distance), and none required tracking. The only elk he ever lost was one he shot 4 times from 30 to 50 yards with a 45-70. And now will use nothing but his 30-06 with 180 remington corelokts. Of course it would work for deer also.

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh ya and I forgot they cost about $13 at Wal-Mart.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will second the Nosler Partitions. As far as a bullet being too hard for deer, just shoot for the exit hole.
I used to use one gun, one load for deer/elk hunts. 300WM, 200gr Grand Slams. The GS was a little hard for deer but I'd just make sure that somewhere during its pass-thru it would hit heart or aorta. You couldn't just shoot for the big middle.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much for the responses. One last question - Is the bullet loaded in the Winchester Partition Gold factory load just a Nosler Partition with that black coating? I need to know this as my 06 doesn't shoot Fed Prem 180 NPs as accurately as I would like, but I thought I would get a box of the Win PGs as they might be more accurate due to the coating. Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the partition gold as well as the failsafe both have an extra sleeve of steel in the front half of the back compartment. It is a cup facing backwards just as overkill to be sure that the partition is not breached by the back lead. But seriously if your going to shoot factory 180's through a 30-06 you don't need fancy bullets, its just not fast enough. (but it is fast enough to kill)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
page 83 of the october 2005 outdoor life has a description and longitudinal section photos of 24 different bullets. Under the winchester partition gold: "The Scoop: Based on the Nosler Partition, it has a longer shank section to boost weight retention and a steel cap at rear to lessen bulging on impact." Not that the visual is accurate but I will add that it appears to have a fair amount more copper in the partition and the jacket. I guess it is more different than I thought.

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
180 gr Barnes Triple Shocks in Fed. Premium were the best shooters in my recently purchased NULA .30-06, less that an inch/100ys
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just chronograph the Federal 180 TSX this AM AT 2729 fps from my 24" barrel. I don't think I'm reloading for this '06 anymore. Accuracy, velocity and a bullet that will reach the vitals on any medium game from most any angle. Why bother with reloads?

I used to be pretty strung out on killing everything with my own handloads but a lot of the new factory ammo makes reloading impractical when you figure the time involved.

I'm using this load on a trophy West TX mule deer hunt and if the big one is walking straight away I'll have no reservations about popping him right in the butt.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would not choose the barnes for 140# deer, but I love them on Elk. My hunting buddy is in the same dilemna this year with his 06 and he is using one bullet for Pronghorn, Deer, and Elk. The nosler partition is good, but they do shed their front 1/2 fairly easily compromising weight retention. The Hornady Interbond or the Speer TBBC is the ticket since they will both open well and have the best weight retention of the bonded bullets. We chose the 165gr Hornady Interbond Light Mag (better weight retention than the Nosler Accubond) since it had the highest velocity and BC. It worked well on Pronghorn this last weekend, but the real test will be on Elk later on in the Fall.

Deke

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of Fed Prem 180gr TBBC today. Fed is sure proud of this load ($32.50). Perhaps this will be the accurate "do-all" load I am looking for. Thanks for all the advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
try federal premium h.e. in 180 gr. n.p., kills critters dead. there is not a lot of animals that i would not shoot with this load.

i would stay away from the t.b.b.c. if you want a head on your wall.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cold zero - now I am confused. I thought TBBC were very good bullets. The NPs are not as accurate out of my rifle as I would like, so I am looking for a more accurate load. Is there something I should know? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Fed. Noslers for years on elk and deer and on lots of plainsgame like Kudu and Eland, no complaints at all..mostly get two holes unless the angle is severe, then nothing but a solid would come out.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW I have found TBs to be a tad soft for my hunting, but if they shoot well and you like them then by all means use them, They expand well and usually stop on the off side skin of an elk on a broadside shot.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote