Find
Notify
Tools

East Texas Deer Hunting Blues
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Season is off to a rocky start here it seems. The weather has been unusually warm. Add to that the fact that opening weekend coincided with the Beaver Moon and throw in this year's bumper crop of acorns . . . the hunting so far as been pretty darn slow in the East Texas Piney Woods. Hoping things are going better in other parts of the state.

Mike

Posts: 21420 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
We had 4 hunters come down from Michigan for opening weekend. They have been coming down for 7 or 8 years now but this was the warmest weather they had hunted in.

On opening morning two of the hunters, a Dad and his son, shot two decent 8 pointers within a few minutes of each other from the same blind.

I been seeing a lot of movement over the past two weeks before opening day, both deer moving at all hours during the day and lots of fresh rubs.

That afternoon I dropped the Grand Dad off at the same blind where the two bucks were killed that morning and just before legal shooting time ended, he got a shot at a buck that he thought was better than either of the bucks his son/grandson shot that morning.

We eased down and found blood and ended up making a close to 500 yard tracking job, ending up with up finding the buck.

It was a really decent 10 pointer, pretty even on both sides and weighed in at 176 before gutting.

Sunday morning the fourth hunter got a pretty good 8 pointer.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, it that bow or rifle season?

Posts: 20147 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darned slow in Barksdale, acorns everywhere. Heading out tomorrow, sure hope things are better with a dark moon.

Posts: 41901 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mike, it that bow or rifle season?

It's now rifle season in Texas and will last through December at least in south Texas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Mills County Texas deer hunt. It was hot during the day, but fairly cool early mornings and evenings, saw lots of bucks and does..Always good on this low fenced ranch, Regardless of weather, the deer are always there..The state recommended they cull 167 does on this ranch, but hey shot only 60 last count and the rancher said that's enough. The non resident limit is two bucks and three/
does in Mills county. Lic. is $315.

I don't like culling those little deer, but it has to be done and the meat is all donated to good causes. Its also damn hard work,the upside is I tested out the 200 gr. Accubonds in my 06, the 87 gr. GS Customs in my 25-35, and the 80 gr. GS Customs in my 250 mod. 99 Savage..All worked finea.

The surprise was how well the 200 gr. Accubond performed on such light animals, very little meat damage, 6 inches of bloodshot around the bullet hole and small entrance and exit holes, but all instant kills..

put 5 thousand miles on my truck, got back last night and worn to a frazzle, but it was a fun trip and got to visit most of my family.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42012 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Son and I were out this past weekend (2nd week of rifle season). Our 250 acre place is in Cass County.
I shot a pig that went about 150 Lbs and my son got a terrific 5X4 buck that weighed 155 after being cleaned.
Weather was pleasant.
Didn't see any does at all.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you know Ray it ain't like my place isn't between yours and Texas.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Goliad/Refugio county has been slow but with this cool snap and Thanksgiving approaching, things are picking up. Saw two decent bucks on a doe this morning and one of the nicest deer I have seen in awhile trailing... never stopped.

However, nothing is interested in feeders. Should have saved the money I have used to feed pigs and coons!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Just got back from Mills County Texas deer hunt... put 5 thousand miles on my truck, got back last night and worn to a frazzle, but it was a fun trip and got to visit most of my family.

You must have taken the scenic route, Ray... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My area has been hit with the “Blue Tongue”. It has destroyed a lot of deer in a 3 county area. Not exact on numbers/percentages, but 80%+ mortality in localized areas! Just no deer to be seen.

Was going to take my daughter hunting this season....we decided to pass..I went to a former ‘Hot Spot’ and only saw tracks of 4 deer over a very large area.

Will take several years for trophies to be around here. Have started to look for land in western Ky to lease.

Hope the weather changes for you Tx guys/gals...at least you have deer to hunt. Lol.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . deer hunting has picked up. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Really great looking buck, do not remember ever seeing brow tines that long.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice Mike, the only thing that I've been killing lately is airline miles.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Those brow tines are amazing! Congratulations

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deer were moving at our place pretty good during the holiday week. Brought home two doe and a big bodied cull buck. Never saw a pig but they are there lots of ground up.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Great buck Mike. Love those brow tines. I have only seen one other whitetail buck with tines like that and it is a 5 point my Dad took 60 years ago in southern Manitoba.

tu2

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1829 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
That is a really beautiful deer. I love the dark antlers. Excellent posing of the deer and photography work as well.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buck!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
That is a really beautiful deer. I love the dark antlers. Excellent posing of the deer and photography work as well.

Especially since Mike looks so happy! popcorn

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Outstanding Mike! Is that your 275?

Posts: 41901 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As discussed, longest brow tines I've ever seen. Nice deer, congrats.

In out area of Western Bowie County/East Red River County, it has been dry and fairly warm. Almost no acorns at all, which has the pigs hitting corn feeders every day. Friend and my youngest daughter killed 2 decent, but not huge, 8 pts Sat. last. I passed on a HUGE 8 point that I could have shot 50 times as he posed for me....I'm having hunter's regret. Rut has been going on for almost 2 weeks, will soon be over for this period.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish we had you lack of acorns.......can't even snooze in the blind, sounds like a hail storm......

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on an incredible buck, Mike. That's a dandy for sure.. tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
I wish we had you lack of acorns.......can't even snooze in the blind, sounds like a hail storm......

Lack of acorns foretells a poor deer crop next year.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Nice deer Mike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36900 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words. Yes Jim, that is the .275 Rigby. Brow tines measured 8" and 9". I am sure that our record acorn crop, and all the rain we had, this year has contributed not just to the hard hunting but some good antlers.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn brother, VERY nice buck. I love the color of the horns.

You Texans are lucky. We just don't have deer like you all do.

See you in Dallas.

Posts: 12026 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Nice Buck and nice rifle Mike, wish Ruger made those in a LH.

Hunting has been great outside of Cisco. Wife and daughter shot nice 8 points and we have taken some nice pigs as well.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice deer! I love the wood on that rifle

Posts: 561 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck, Mike. Congrats!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby T,
Anytime we go to Texas its the scenic route from one ranch to another to see all my immediate familys..I have a lot of places to hunt, all low fenced and can hunt Hill contry Whitetail, Coues deer and Mule Deer..Got an old friend in Colorado for elk on the way, and of course Idaho...Im blessed for hunting.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42012 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Wow! Did you score the rack? Lucky man.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5188 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
All's well that ends well Mikey!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Mike!

Posts: 1806 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote