New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: DENVER INFO ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My advice, after living in Denver, is get the hell out of town right away. Rent your vehicle and get on the road to Craig. If you don't want to go all the way there right away (it's only a few hours, about 3 or less), then get 30-50 miles down the road, then get a motel OUT OF DENVER.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are several good hotels between the airport and I 70. That would be a lot easier than going in to town for one.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mario, you definately want to get out of Denver ASAP. Head up I70 and you can stay in many places. One of my favorites is in Georgetown, right on I70. There is a great German/Austrian place called the Alpine Inn, and a room will cost you very little (about $25). They have great food and it is on your way to Craig.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Sept. 5 th I will be in Denver for the beginning of my Elk hunting. I will sleep in town and the 6Th I will rent a car and I will leave for the Three Forks Ranch near Craig (CO). I look for a confortable hotel but I dont know if better in the int Airport or in the town. Anyone havo some advises for me.
Thanks

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah come on Arts I get the feeling you don't like Denver? haha. But he does make a good point. If you want to get up into the mountains you certainly can, it'd be about 3-3.5 hour drive. If you didn't want to go the whole way you can get out of town and get a room in Dillon/Silverthorne or one of the many cities along the way to craig..

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in and out of Denver several times a year. I drive down there from here in North Dakota. My daughter lives in Denver and I go to see her. I hate driving through Denver. I worked the Denver metro area as a deputy sheriff almost thirty years ago before moving to California. I have been in and out of the city every year since I left. Not one time have I passed through the city in any direction without massive construction.

My advice, an echo from a post above with a difference; go to Greeley. Stay there. Or Loveland. Take the drive through Rocky Mountain National Park and over the pass to the west slope. If you do not see an elk, or even droppings, this drive will make your trip. My wife and I made the drive this summer west bound and then again east bound. Spectacular! We caravaned with two other cars filled with relatrives, the first time any of them, including my wife were over the pass. They loved it.

If the pass over RMNP is closed, go north to highway 14 and take the Pouder River canyon over Cameron Pass. Another spectacular drive. My hunting buddies and I take that road every year to our hunting ground and have been since I started hunting with them back in the early 70s.

Either way, forget Denver. It's not Colorado; it's just irritating traffic wise.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mario, these are the dealers FILSON lists on their website for Colorado locations:

Black Bear Trading Telluride - 970-728-6556
Burlap Bag Colorado Springs - 719-442-1625
Gardenswartz Sporting Goods Durango - 970-247-2660
Jax Outdoor Gear Fort Collins - 970-221-0544
McGuckin Hardware Boulder - 303-443-1822
Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear Arvada 303-421-2259
Sportsman's Warehouse
Aurora -720-858-1800
Grand Junction -970-243-8100
Loveland - 970-461-5000
Thornton - 303-428-6500

The most convenient store for you will be the Aurora Sportman's Warehouse, which is a few miles out of your way, but is very close to the airport.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mario may not realize that Aurora, Thorton, and Arvada are all basically Denver. The stores in either Arvada or Thorton, depending on which route taken to Craig, are probably the two handiest. The Aurora store would be a little out of the way. Also, Mario, do you realize that you can get Filson stuff direct from their catalog, and probably no store has all their stuff in every size--so you can get your Filson stuff and still avoid Denver.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Friends,
thank you very much for the informations.
Ther'are some interesting gun and hunting shops in Denver? I look for Filson wear.

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep--don't even have to go as far as Dillon, just Georgetown. MUCH better than Denver.

posted Hide Post
Last I can recall about Denver is there are decent accomidations near the airport and the shuttles will deliver you to them. You can get your rental car brought to most of those motels. I-70 is right there, and you can get the hell out of there as soon as you get your car if you want. Be careful, as the people drive like they live there, know where they are going, and aren't afraid of you. Hope you have an excellent hunt though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interstate 25 at the Highway 34 exit, the road west across Rocky Mountain National Park, and also on the route to highway 14 west across Cameraon Pass. Turn west and watch to the right. Sportsmans Warehouse. A giant store. If they don't have it, it probably doesn't exist. My brother-in-law and hunbting buddy for the last 25 years lives a few minutes down the road from the story, so I spend a lot of time at the place, and a lot of money.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote