THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    what does YOUR mule deer and antelope country look like?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what does YOUR mule deer and antelope country look like?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
click here to see where i hunt mule deer and antelope.

also, click here to see some pix around my hometown, chinook, montana. they were taken between september and december.

anyone want to post pix of their hunting area??

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
click here to see where i hunt mule deer and antelope. QUOTE]

Hi T

I think I know one of those spots; my partner missed a longish shot there on his tummy in knee-deep snow, and we spent a nice evening there drinking coffee and yakking. I put a new plug on the owners' sewing machine cord a couple of days later so it wouldn't burn the house down in midwinter.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14434 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pics Tasun. I grew up on the Highline so I hunted terrain that is very similar. Of course down here in southern Mt, there are a few more trees. We have water. Wink

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mike - yeah, the trees around here are mostly just on the river and, of course in the mountains, so i know what you mean, mike. it's still pretty country, and i wouldn't trade it for anything, except maybe lewistown again, i relaly loved it there. p.s. - what was your high school mascot?

tom~~ those pix are just a few miles southwest of chinook. if you get up this way again, let me know!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Valier. The greatest hunting in the world, and I also wouldn't have traded it for anything. We could hunt just about any critter that North America has to offer within an hours drive. With the lake being in the middle of the flyway, we had huge amounts of ducjks and geese. There are plenty of huns, grouse and pheasant for your upland hunters. There's piles of both whitetail and mulies with good cover for either species. Elk were a little more problematic, we did have to drive nearly 20 minutes to the mountains. Wink

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i'e never actually been in valier, but i ahve been all around it, and i agree that it is certainly beautiful! of course, as i remember, nothing wrong with three forks, either~~Wink

aw hell, let's just say it: you can't do any better than montana, can ya?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Have you had a beer at the Lighthouse lately?

Brian Bingham

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my family has moved away from Valier, so I don't get there too often anymore. My mother-in-law lives in Conrad, so I do get there occasionally. Next time you stop by say hello to Bob. Tasun, Three Forks is a great town, and now it's starting to grow very quickly almost too fast. I will say that the hunting down here is great, I do fill almost all my tags every year. The biggest difference between TF and Valier is that in TF, I hunt more big game. In Valier it was almost all birds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wide and lonesome. Just the way I like it.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/plainview2/prairiegirls.jpg

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I'm from Pendroy and did a lot of stomping all over that area from the Front out to Valier. I have a lot of good friends from Valier and still haul grain to the Harvest States elevator there occasionally.

It sounds like the Three Forks area has been infected by the Bozeman growth? We were considering relocating to the Gallatin Valley after I get through with gunsmithing school as my wife likes the area from our 4 years at MSU. I hadn't been to Bozeman since 1996 and was a little shocked when we drove through it this spring. Is real estate even in reach of a non-Californian in the outlying areas like Three Forks?

Brian Bingham

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not quite as bad out here yet, but it is starting to move that way quickly now. I lived in Bozeman for about 15 years and decided that I wanted out. I bought a bar here in Three Forks about 2 years ago, and it may have been the best investment I've ever made. If you want to be a gunsmith around here, I think you'd do very well. I don't think that there are that many around given the number of hunters out here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
to anyone interested:

click the SECOND link in the original post of this thread to see a few that i have added. also, CLICK HERE to see a set of pix from near my hometown which, in my opinion, are much better. they are of the area around mission canyon in the little rocky mountains in north-central montana.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I moved out of Bozeman 11 years ago, no going back I'm afraid. North of Livingston on the way to the rifle range I often see antelope on the northeast side of the road. They used to be common on both sides of the road but the new housing development seems to have put them off. There are lots of anteope on the south side of the feeway going towards Big Timber, and lots of deer on the north side towards the river. I have no luck drawing antelope tags so I always hunt the 700's. It's interesting to see antelope with the mountains in the background. There are plenty of mule deer in the mountains around town but bigger ones out east so that were I hunt them. Since I've usually filled my deer tags before I start up the mountain to hunt elk when I see deer I just enjoy them. By hunting out east and around home I get the best of both worlds, open plains and big sky and beautiful mountain views.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote