Find
Notify
Tools

What would you pay?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I have been kicking around the idea of offering some whitetail deer and turkey hunts for a couple of years. I have recently purchased some more land and have a good amount of pasture leased that could possibly have a hunting rights clause put in to the contract. With in the last month another small piece of land came up for sale that adjoins the ranch that has a nice house on it that could be a lodge of sorts.

I was thinking of offering:
3 and 5 day archery deer hunts $300-$500?

3 and 5 day archery turkey hunts $250-$400?

5 day archery deer and turkey combo hunts $800?

3 day firearms deer hunts $500?

3 day shotgun turkey hunts $250?

All of the hunts would be semi-guided. We would clean and skin the animals on a "for tips" basis. Lodging would be included but no meals.

The average 8 point+ deer in this area would probably score in the 100-130 class with a monster pushing 150. It is fairly easy to see deer. You generally have to kick the turkeys out of your way to get set up. Most toms wiegh 18+ with long beards. All hunting would be from stands and blinds. Drives may be a posibility. We would probably do some management hunts also, but it would be does and CRAP bucks.

What are your thoughts on the prices? I want to see if this will be worth while. Thanks.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
If those prices include the deer and turkey Book
me for 06. I would charge $25-30 to clean and skin and I would pay it.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Out here the ranchers get $1000.00 for a deer and some are not necessarily wall hangers. $750.00 for a goat, also not always huge.No lodging, food ect. They will dress the critter for you. I know of one place that gets $9500 for a MD, but it will be a dandy 160-200+, full service.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What state are you in?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a decent amount of land and keep the hunter numbers in the reasonable range, I think these prices are very, very reasonable.

Keeping things organized and arranged to move smoothly so that hunters aren't bumping into each other would be critical as well.

I'm with invader66 - if you make a go of this in '06 save me a spot!!!

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
El Caballero, is Spinks Ranch where you intend on possibly doing this?

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
A few things I forgot to mention.
I am in Cedar County Missouri. B&C have no record deer taken from this county. We have very little farm ground so it is all grass and what mineral they can steal from the cows.

The prices I mentioned WOULD NOT include the tag. Prices for 2005 were:
Sping turkey Firearms (Toms only):
Res $17
N Res $145

Fall Turkey Firearms (Tom or Hen):
Res $13 (2)
Non Res $95 (2)

Fall Archery (Buck or Doe, Tom or Hen):
Res $19 (2 deer 2 turkey)
Non Res $120 (2 deer 2 turkey)

Fall Firearms deer (Buck or Doe):
Res $17
Non Res $145 Plus $25 for res of OK, KS, IA, IL

While the tags are any deer I would probably limit the does taken and bucks would need 4 points one side.
If I decide to do this I will more than likely use some feeders however I would have to take them down atleast 10 days prior to season and they would remain down until all seasons were over. Sept 5 - Jan 1. The only fences that are on the place are the ones that are for the cows, and they barely hold them. Big Grin

spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dungbeetle:

DB

Yes

spinksranch.com

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Hello El Caballero,can hunters form outside the U.S hunt in your state?I will be in the U.S about this time next year and am looking for different hunts.You have a PM

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1873 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
quote:
Originally posted by Dungbeetle:

DB

Yes

Thanks El Caballero. How many acres? I am interested for turkey, spring of 06 for 2 persons. PM if you would. Thanks again.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
El C,

The fall archery deer/turkey hunt looks interesting to me.

~Ann

Posts: 19245 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that for the type of hunt you are offering the prices are just about right. Nothing fancy just a chance to do some good hunting.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I live and hunt in Missouri. I hunt in Northern Missouri where you can kill 1 buck with at least 4 one inch points on one side "state law in that region" and as many does as you wish to buy $7. tags for. I hunt a 1000 acre catle ranch with lodgeing no food and share the farm with 15 others for 4 days rifle. I pay $750. and it goes up every year and there is a waiting list to get in. So depending on your spread and deer quota your price is not high.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Hey Horseman,
If you do something like this next year and Top Predator comes up from New Zealand I would like to book the same week.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote