New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted: free range aoudad
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a couple months off next year and am looking to start my mountain hunting career. I've got plenty of time, but limited money, and so I was looking for a self or semi guided hunt for free range Aoudad in west Texas or New Mexico in February or March. I've seen advertisements for a few ranches in the Big Bend area that do trespass fee self guided hunts, but I was wondering if there were other places that people know about that wouldn't necessarily advertise. I'm in great shape and don't mind a real challenge, and I have a buddy who is of like mind and fitness. I was hoping to pay $1000 or less for the access. If anyone has any leads or has land who could help, drop me a PM or an email.

Andy
anmorris@georgiahealth.edu

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
You won't be able to do it Texas for that, If they let you on there place for 1000.00 to hunt Aoudad I'd bet there aren't any there. I would look into public land in NM, that will be your best bet. There is a lot of very good Aoudad hunting out there.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As usual, my taxidermist is correct.
But you might check the Exotics Hunting page of the Texas Hunting Forum for ideas and contacts.
Dabney

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll find a private land hunt in NM or TX within your budget. Better apply for the drawing next year and take your chances on NM public land.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
If you decide to go guided I would call Bubba Glosson

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been reading about the new mexico public land hunts. I understand that the best areas are draw only, but that there are large amounts of public land that are unlimited? does anyone know if these are OTC or if you still have to apply for them? the big game regulations booklet is confusing and contradictory at times on the subject.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to my world Andy. All public land NM sheep hunts are draw only. Private land sheep tags can be purchased over the counter. Average price for access to private land is currently running $2k & up. Anybody selling access cheaper than that probably doesn't have very many sheep.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Texas Parks and Wildlife has public land hunts for Aoudad - they are draw only - but are unlimited quota (shoot as many as you want) if you get drawn. I think the deadlines have passed this year. They offer the hunts in 2-3 different areas depending on the year: Big Bend, Devil's River, Palo Duro Canyon. Download the public hunts booklet from their website. Cost is a few dollars to enter the draw, only a hunting license if you get drawn. No tag fees, etc.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote