THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    How far will you shoot at game with a 30-30

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How far will you shoot at game with a 30-30
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
using iron sights?

KJK

Posts: 692 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
How precise is the gun and ammo?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a number of 30-30's.
a couple of them even have scopes and bolt handles.
I know I can hit a deer in the heart/lungs 100% of the time with any of them at 150yds.

I bet the bullet will kill a deer further than that no problem but I'm not real good at calculating trajectories in under 5 seconds.
so I stick with point and press distances with all of my rifles.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The maximum distance from my stand to the treeline is 130 yards. I have made this shot many times with a 30-30 and open sites. My Marlin 336 does wear a leupold scope these days as it gives better visibility at dawn and dusk. I would be comfortable shooting the open sites to 200 yards.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My max is 150 yards. That's with a Win Md 54 with peep sights. I'm sure the gun could shoot farther.

I have the same limit with a Win Md 94 with peep sights in .32Special. I just got some of the new Horn. 160gr pointed bullets for it, but I don't think that will change MY limit.

Posts: 286 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Under ideal circumstances and a 30-30 sighted in 3"s high at 100 yards, dead on at 150 yards Ive killed more than a few deer at 200 yards and a few at 300 with a 94 carbine...Sight in that way and then set some targets out at 300 and check your drop, you may be surprised. You might want to determine where to hold the front bead IN YOUR SIGHTS AT 300 as opposed to a hold over that blocks the target....In that high rimrock country of far west Texas where all the experts call for a 300 win mag or whatever, many of the local ranchers still depend on the 30-30 and a surprisingly number of long range kills take place..Just answering your question, not making a case for the 30-30, its certainly not the best option, but not the worst either..Every kid I grew up with shot a 30-30 or a 25-35, and never felt undergunned in that high desert country.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
We have an old 336 Marlin in 30-30 that shoots really well (1 1/2" groups at 100 yards). My older son's good with it out to 200 yards with iron sights. Me I limit myself to 50 yards with iron sights Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my savage wears a scope. 3 inch high like all my other rifles. puts on about 225. hornady factory. one kill at 245. darn cool leaver gun.