New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 win mag or 300 Dakota?
 Login/Join

<gone hunting>
posted
i'm ready to send my mod70 to Pac-Nor for a rebarrle. the 300 win mag has done vary well, but i keep thinking about haveing the rebarrle done in 300 Dakota. any pro or cons? what do you think?

------------------
Death Before Dishonor

<Rimrock>
posted
I had a 300 Dakota built on a pre-64 Model 70 action a few years back. It's got a 26" Lilja barrel. It's a way long story, and if I were to get into the details it'd run a couple thousand words. It took the better part of two years to complete, and the short version is I wouldn't consider using that gunsmith again. Anyway, I do like the rifle a lot (now, initially it had serious problems).
As to why I chose the Dakota chambering, well, anything to be different, you know.... At that time, the Ultramags weren't on the scene, and I do like the idea of beltless magnums. I was mainly debating between the 300 Weatherby and the Dakota. Performancewise, it's splitting hairs, so again I think the main reason to opt for the Dakota is to have something a bit more uncommon.

I do get good performance, though. I've tried a lot of different bullets and loads, but have settled on 180 grain X bullets with 79 grains of RL25. That gives me right at 3250 fps, .7" groups at 100 yards, and 3" or occasionally a smidgen better groups at 300 yards. Haven't really shot it much off the bench in the last year. I'm plenty satisfied with that load, and am finding it a lot more fun to practice offhand at the 300 and 450 yard gongs.

It's my only big game rifle, and I've no complaints on field performance. It flattens antelope like the Hammer of Thor, and has been instrumental in collecting four or five each of mule deer and elk in a most effective manner. Well, there was one heartbreakingly large bull that I missed, three times, about four years back. It was in a big open bowl, and I badly misjudged the distance, so I guess that's not really the gun's fault....

About the only downside I can think of is that brass is kind of pricey. I bought a hundred cases at $1.60 each, and am set for a long time, though.

Compared to the 300 win, well, you are going to gain a little velocity. Whether it's enough to matter is probably debateable. Again, I think the main value is if you enjoy having something a little out of the ordinary.

------------------
Cowboy Heaven Consulting
http://www.cowboyhvn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
True story. Guy spent a bundle of money on an elk hunting trip. Got to came and found out he left his bag with his ammunition on the garage floor when he packed for the trip. He had a Dakota. You don't walk into a sporting goods store any buy ammunition for a Dakota. I really wanted one of those, but decided to stick with my 300 Winchester.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
My brother in law has a 300 win mag, I was also looking for a bolt action. I ended up buying a 338 Bar with beautiful wood (just couldn't resist the looks) on it, to many experts have told me to get the bolt action....so I went looking for a Winchester bolt in a 338 Ultra mag.....Sorry don't make one yet, it's got to be a custom shop order I am told by Winchester.
So I ended up buying a 300 Ultra Mag in stainless model 70 Winchester with controll feed action and 3 position safety instead. I am happy now guys!

The recoil to me is about the same as the 300 win mag, give or take a little. The ballistics are fantastic on paper. It' much flatter than the 300 win mag. I will however have a McMillin stock put on this rifle later down the budget road. Ammo may not be as plentiful as the 300 win mag stuff, but give it time, its only been out a couple of years verses almost 40 years of the 300win mag. It's much cheaper than the Weatherby or Dakota ammo too.

<allen day>
posted
If you want more punch than the .300 Win. Mag. offers, the .300 Dakota ought to be a great choice.

What bothers me about some of these new cartridges that are being offered by small manufacturers is that you must be willing to bet that the company will be in business few years down the road. If they aren't, brass just might prove to be a bugger to find.

Witness the fate of the Imperial Magnums and the Arnold Magnums.........

AD

<Tigar>
posted
I've got a 300 Dakota and like it a lot. I was building a gun from scratch on a Nesika Bay action so there wasn't really any extra cost to it. You need to check into what modifications will have to be made to your Model 70 - bolt face opened, new bottom metal? You may have to spend an extra $100-$200 possibly (new HS Precision bottom metal is around $150-$180) - if no bottom metal maybe just $40-50 or so. My brother just had a gun re-barreled and although I love the Dakota chambering, I had to agree that the 300 Win Mag made more sense in his case since the other mods necessary would cost a few hundred and he was trying to save $$.

I got it because it seemed to be about the perfect speed/efficiency balance. Not hard to get 3250-3300 with 180 gr and only about 80 gr powder. This beats a Win Mag pretty easily, yet doesn't use 95-100+ grains like the ultramag, Warbird, & 30-378. They seem to take significantly more powder to get the same results and yes, they may be able to get in the neighborhood of 3400-3500 fps, but only using about 100-120 grains of powder. You add only a few grains over a 300 WM to get 150 fps diff with the Dakota (that makes sense) => 20-40 grains to get yet another 150fps (not worth it in my opinion). The cost in muzzle blast, kick, and shortened barrel life doesn't seem worth it. I have also always heard of people getting good accuracy with the Dakota too � better than the Weatherby.

Yes, the brass isn�t cheap $1.30-$1.70; Midway has carried it too. Not that big of a deal to me. Bite the bullet, buy a decent sized batch and it will last a long time.
I agree with Allen that I don't like being held hostage to them for brass. Someone new is making their brass now; the old stuff wasn't very good. Don't know yet how it is. (maybe I'll pass on a story about this later) I just plan on waiting until they have some decent stuff and buy enough to last me a long while. Of course, you are never truly stuck, you can always re-chamber, but that costs money as do Dakota dies etc. Remember all types of different dies for it are custom order and cost dearly - $100 or so.

I'm with Rimrock though, nice to have something different and that performs well - worth some of the extra expenses (as long as the brass thing works out). Roger is right about no ammo in Wal Mart, but if you are going someplace exotic, ship a box ahead of time and confirm it arrived. If not-so-exotic and you don't want to pre-ship and you lose/forget it - just leave a box at home and have the wife overnight it (worst case borrow a gun for that 1 time in 50). Also, don't put it all in one bag (eggs/basket), put some in a couple bags, then they all have to get lost.

I suggest first finding out what your gunsmithing costs will be and then add a couple hundred extra for brass and dies. Is 150-200 fps and uniqueness worth the cost? Decisions...Decisions. Good Luck