THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Anyone Else Find Tht Animals Spook At The Sound Of An Approaching ATV

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Find Tht Animals Spook At The Sound Of An Approaching ATV
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have hunted on a friends 900 acres about 100 miles SW of Austin Texas, and have personally seen deer spook when an ATV was headed in my direction and still half a mile away.
At my 300 acres in East Texas, I had a similar experience with both deer and ferule hogs.
Anyone else have similar experiences or have I just had a couple of odd occurrences.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
YES!!!

I have witnessed it many times.

Some folks do not believe it, but I have watched deer spook at the sound of an ATV, but not really pay any attention to a regular pickup or SUV.

There is a difference in the sound of the motor.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been cutting hay with my tractor and unless you are going to hit them,they do`nt even move.I guess someone has been chasing or shooting at those animals off an ATV.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
A friend and I were glassing for elk from a fire tower years ago when we spotted a good bull about a mile from the peak we were on. He was alone, and feeding in the middle of a huge meadow when he suddenly threw up his head, paused and then ran clear out of sight.

My partner and I were curious about what might have spooked that bull, so we glassed for another ten minutes until we saw a pickup truck moving slowly on the two-track trail that led to where the bull had been feeding.

The guys in that truck obviously had no idea they had pushed the biggest bull in the country out of that meadow, or that their pickup truck had sent that elk running from more than a mile away.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walk, otherwise you're screwed!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elk are one thing, whitetails and muley's, depending on location from my experience are different.

Everyone's mileage on this varies, but to me ATV's spook game more readily than pickup's, at least on the properties I guide on.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Of course all of it depends on how conditioned the animal of whatever species is to vehicles. Any animal of any kind will spook when they relate vehicles to danger.

But the same animal will not run if there is no danger. Examples being; farm tractors that commonly are in fields, deer browsing on the side of the road in a residential area or where I live elk standing in the road. Sometimes if I leave my house before dawn I have to wait until they move before continuing on.

If you drive through a really wild area with few people most animals could care less or move off slowly. Bottom line is it depends on if they have a reason to disappear. I do notice that really loud vehicles tend to spook just about everything in sight regardless.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
I guess someone has been chasing or shooting at those animals off an ATV.

This.

They associate ATVs with danger if people are shooting at them from them.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We hunt deer on 40 acres. The deer ignore my pickup and tractor. While hunting I have seen deer scatter from our food plots at the sound of an atv a mile or more away. Our atv stays parked during hunting season!

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course all of it depends on how conditioned the animal of whatever species is to vehicles. Any animal of any kind will spook when they relate vehicles to danger.

Correct When game is not shot at by people on or near vehicles. The tend to stand around and look at them.

If the game has been shot at by people near or in vehicles they soon learn to get out of the area fast.

On the Reservations I worked they do a lot of shooting at game from vehicles. The roads there are some of the safest to drive on as far as car deer crashes.

The surviving deer run from any type of vehicles.

In areas where game is not shot at most of the time most of the game will let you drive by while they just stand there.

I drive and ride MC's ATV's cars trucks and bicycles.

I found that game birds are very jumpy around bicycles I think it is the silent gilding motion. Like a bird of prey gliding along.

Deer bears and other big game could care less.

Did have a wolf totally fly away at the sight of my pickup the other day.

Full speed not a hint that it stopped any time soon.

A good respectful sign in my book.

so again I think it is all about the pressure they have received.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Walk, otherwise you're screwed!

So true! Get in early and let the others push the game to you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience here in Colorado is that if you are within hearing(elk/deer hearing) distance of an atv trail you are probably wasting your time.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess someone has been chasing or shooting at those animals off an ATV.

Not necessarily, ATV's simply make a different noise.

Yes, does not matter the vehicle, because if an animal is shot at from one, if it isn't killed, it sure won't set still long enough to be shot at by the next vehicle.

Coyotes in this area learn real quick or die real quick.

Those that have survived take off the instant they see a vehicle, whether it slows down or not.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Planting corn in no till I had a coyote come out of fence row and walk around tractor waiting for mice to move out. 3 separate rounds. As I moved further from the fence row he wouldn't come out. I've also noticed wildlife key in on changes in speed. Farm equipment is slow steady and even. You can drive right by a deer, but let off the gas for closer look they show a heel

Posts: 3534 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
True, I used to hunt coues deer in a ranch were they paid practically no attention at all at trucks and would just stay looking at the vehicle, one day we were sitting at a waterhole when a couple of does came to drink, then they started getting nervous and then I heard the faint distant sound of an ATV that should not have been there, the ATV was still some distance away when the deer spooked and ran off, had it been a truck I don't think that would have happened.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 532 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see the atv thing often enough.
even roads that get heavy truck traffic doesn't bother them.
many years I have watched over a dozen bucks get shot off the side of a 5 mile stretch of dirt road.
but as soon as an ATV comes along they just scatter long before it even comes into view.

I have an area that I back pack into and the reason I hunt there is because it is surrounded by a road that is used pretty consistently by atv's during the hunting season.

I can sit and wait in a couple of different spots and the deer will run right up to where I am.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
If ya want to ride up close then make it a horse you are riding.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been cutting hay with my tractor and unless you are going to hit them,they do`nt even move.I guess someone has been chasing or shooting at those animals off an ATV.

I have noticed in WY, where a truck creeping along making frequent stops will spook antelope and deer whereas they ignore a truck (well service truck, etc) traveling at a normal rate of speed.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greatly depends on the hunting pressure. Feeding and checking, general ranch PU use, cattle during the year, I see lots of mature bucks and tons of does and the act like Im their best friend..After the first guns start poping they get ouchy pronto..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
quote:

I have noticed in WY, where a truck creeping along making frequent stops will spook antelope and deer whereas they ignore a truck (well service truck, etc) traveling at a normal rate of speed.

My limited experience says reactions are inconsistent. I've seen antelope ignore pickup trucks in one area, see them take off two miles away in others.
In one encounter a group of otherwise calm mule deer took off at the sound of the Cummins starting about a half mile away.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14629 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The deer where I live aren't too scared of vehicles. Mostly they'll ignore an atv, truck, or tractor unless you stop. Then they bolt.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my property, the Deer associate the sound of my ATV with me filling the feeders, dumping apples, or getting rid of day-old bagels from the town bakery. I remember one time turning around after loading a feeder and a Black Bear was sitting on his butt about 30 feet away waiting for me to leave.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On my property, the Deer associate the sound of my ATV with me filling the feeders, dumping apples, or getting rid of day-old bagels from the town bakery. I remember one time turning around after loading a feeder and a Black Bear was sitting on his butt about 30 feet away waiting for me to leave.

Conditioning!!!!!

Ever read about Pavlov's Dog?????

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a story:
My daughter and I were in a deer blind in a ridge overlooking a mile of cover with our south boundary fence less than 200 yards south of us. We were watching and calling to a huge buck and a doe just south of our fence when we heard the put- put of a UTV moving north along a fence line, so we watched the deer step back into cover it as the UTV reached the corner and turned East in the two track. As the UTV slowly rolled east, the deer stepped back out to feed again in the two track; the hunters in the UTV never knew they were there.

Unfortunately for us, the deer did not come onto our property where we could take a shot.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While deer hunting several years ago, I was watching about 20 deer that were scattered over a fairly wide area to my N.

I heard a truck coming up from the S and then started to see the deer just lay down in the sagebrush. By the time the truck came around the corner, all the deer had laid down. 3 guys got out to glass and saw nothing.

After they drove back the way they came from, the deer started to stand back up and continued on with their day.

Fascinating to have seen that.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I would have to say halve the time mule deer stop and stare when I’m on my ATV and the other half run.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote