New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 Rem for deer???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Did any of you or your kids shoot any deer with one this year? If you did, send your pics & stories, Good or Bad. I'm particulary interested if anyones using Nosler Partitions and their performance on deer.

Please refrain if you wanna give a lecture on why they are a bad cartridge for deer. We all know there are better choice out there. But, we all know that they "are" capable and "are" being used. I just wanna hears the results.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Not sure about deer, but they play hell with baboons!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine in Texas uses a 22/250 with Barnes x's and his son uses a .223 with the same bullets, I load these for them and used the same load as the 22/250 for antelope, for Texas whitetails and antelope size game these bullets are devastating, lots of one shot kills and this year I think was the only time my buddy followed up his son with a shot after his son had hit one. Prior to that the boy had a couple of one shot kills. Very effective if good bullets are used, the barnes x is really great, I imagine the Nosler partition would be pretty good too but I think the Barnes will out penetrate the Nosler and still cause a lot of damage.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Jason
This is not exactly the response that you asked for, but I do have a couple of success stories killing deer with a 223. I started both of my sons on deer with a NEF Handi rifle in 223 that I bought used at a pawn shop. My oldest son dropped a nice 3 point buck on Texas youth weekend of 1998. The buck was shot in the heart and dropped in his tracks. On youth weekend of 2000, my youngest son killed a doe with the same 223. His doe was taken with a perfect heart shot and dropped in her tracks. Both deer were killed using Winchester 64 gr power point ammo that performed flawlessly.

I want to point out that my sons had spent enough time at the range to be comfortable and confident with the gun, and I knew their range limitations and was not going to let them take a questionable shot. Both my sons moved up to a 243 their second year deer hunting.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Well, it's not a .223, but several does were culled by 2 guys with the same loaner 22-250 (hey can I try that!?!? type of loaning) shooting the Federal loaded 60 grain NP where I hunt. Ranges went from 50-200 yards or so, 1 shot kills, mostly through the neck but one in the ribs.

I'm a larger caliber guy myself, but it was very good performance for sure.

I wouldn't use them on anything bigger, but for the does they shot (up to about 150 lbs) at reasonable ranges they worked great! Of course, your .223 is giving up about 200fps at the same range to the 22-250... I still want to see the results on a few feral hogs before I go out and try it myself, but for a light deer rifle at high velocity, it did work. YMMV!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote