New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do deer move around or do they seek cover when ir's rainning?

Posts: 48 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
IMHO, they seek cover during downpours. A misty rain is a great time to hunt.

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Light rain and moderate rain they'll move and feed. Heavy rain they'll take cover.If the rain slows or stops during the day they'll move right away.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of the above except for during a rut.

I've been in a stand at noon in mid-November, hunting all day, when a substantial downpour has caused me to retreat to the truck.

I'd say at least 3 times in 20 or so years, I've seen big bucks moving with heavy rain as though it wasn't happening.

I'd say this was only b/c it was rutting time.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
A misty rain or steady rain is my favorite time to hunt. I've killed some good bucks on those types of days.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My folks said son, you should have since enough to come in outa the rain...I do that these days. wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I've never seen any deer during heavy rain, but right after heavy rain is a good time to hunt. And, I just love to hunt in light rain or mist.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
In light rain and in mist the deer seems to be less wary, or their senses diminished. I think I've taken more deer in the rains than in any other type of weather. And then, again, I'm from Oregon.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Columbia Blacktails of the Coastal Pacific Northwest will normally stay in the woods, bedded down, in heavy rains and/or high winds. However, if they smell, see, or hear you coming they will get up and disappear into the mist and darkness ahead of you.

In light rains they will be out grazing, browsing, walking, and resting on knolls or sides of ridges in their normal patterns just as if it wasn't raining at all. Occasionally, you will see them shake the water off but otherwise they seem to ignore it. Sometimes in a rain they will lick the water off themselves and each other as if they are taking a drink.

The best time to catch them out and about is before or after a big weather change. For example:
- When a long period of rain stops and the sun comes out
- Just when it starts drizzling after several dry days
- When it stops snowing
- Just before a big snowfall
- Just before and just after the temperature makes a big move up or down

It is entertaining to watch the fawns reappear after a really bad spell. They will prance, leap, buck, and jump up and down. Then they will chase each other in and out of the woods and all about, dashing here and there, just like dogs at play.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote