THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    The Blaser Chronicals: 308 Tracker at long range

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Blaser Chronicals: 308 Tracker at long range
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last weekend I took my Blaser R-93 with the 308 Tracker barrell[19 3/4"] with a Swarovski 4x24 military scope with a ballistic cam. [It is 4 power only with a 24 mm objective lense]. Ammo was Winchester factory 168 grain Ballistic Silvertips.
We were shooting some javalina.
One was spotted at 328 yards [lazered] so I set the Ballistic Cam to 325 yards and handed my friend the rifle. One shot and the javalina was down.
The next day we saw one down a sendaro and I could not get the rangefinder to give us a reading so I "lazered" a nearby tree. Yje rangefinder said 401 yards.
I set the scope for 400, went prone with a hasty sling and fired one shot. The Javalina went right down with a low shoulder hit.
When we walked up to the animal he was 10 yards past the tree I had lazered.
Needless to say everyone there was impressed with the shooting accuracy of the Blaser with such a short scope and low power scope.
Everyone who shot the rifle was also impressed with the trigger.
Once again the Blaser R-93 proves itself a fine hunting rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you tell me a little more about that scope? Thanks, Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a straight tube [30mm] scope that is made for military use. Very similar to Hendsolt and Schmidt & Bender types you sometimes see on H&K type rifles. Swarovski and Kahles make some 6x and 10x scopes for sniper rifles that also have the ballistic cam. The 6x makes a great hunting scope. Cams are avialable for different rifle calibers. Another good choice is the Leupold 3.5x10 long range M3 [with the ballistic cam].
The 4x scope is very compact and works very well on the short bbl Blaser. I use all the above scopes and they all are excellent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Yes the cam actuated optics for precision shooting works well as long as you use the same load for which is was calibrated (drop calibrated as in velocity, drop over a given range) The cam actuated optics are caliber and load specific, but as you pointed out, do indeed work when applied correctly.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the scope info. What sort of reticle does it have, and where might I find such a thing? Thanks, Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
O.K. I'll bite, what's cam stand for?

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of these scopes have a German picket post type reticle or mil dots. I like the picket post reticles a lot.
Check out Swarovski's and Leupolds web site.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I kind of expected a picket-type reticle. But I can't find this scope on the Swarovski website. Is it tucked away somewhere? Thanks, Okie John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it is called the ZF84 or ZF89. I will look at one of mine tonight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I appreciate your help. Okie John.