Find
Notify
Tools

Randall Knife Question and Picture
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
I was hoping someone could help me with the vintage and model name of this Randall. I finally found one that suits my tastes for hunting with a 4 or 5" blade. Looks to have a factory edge and the edge on the back is also sharp as heck as my poor finger found out. My plan is to use it hunting and was wondering who else uses Randall knives.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be their trout&bird model in carbon steel ( O1). Can't help with vintage..but one of the knife forums would be your best bet for that info..Nice looking knife!

Posts: 47 | Location: North Pole Alaska | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
That's a #8 'Trout & Bird', alright, and a very nice knife, one of Randall's most practical and useful designs.

The original #8 T&B was introduced in 1946 and was produced in it's original form (Heiser sheath) until 1963, when it was revised, and this second blade shape has remained to the present. Yours is the second-version #8 T&B, and is equipped with a Johnson sheath, which replaced the Heiser in the mid 1960s. I suspect that your knife was made in the late 1960s or 1970s. As a sidenote, you can once again special order a T&B with the original blade shape from Randall.

I have a #8 T&B with an elephant ivory handle (rare) that my wife found and bought for me as a Christmas gift one year. She's resourceful! It's one of my favorite knives, dead-sharp, and I'll be taking it to Africa this year. They're too good to keep locked up.........

http://www.randallknives.com

AD

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Allen and Bud,

Thanks for the good info. I love this knife and am looking forward to using it. If I had one critique, I wish it had a Heiser sheath with a sharpening stone. I love that Heiser leather. I was also surprised, as I mentioned, to find that the back or false edge is actually sharp as heck. First time I've seen that on a knife. It fits great in my hands and now understand what people say about the ergonomics of a Randall. This one looks like it has never been sharpened outside of the factory. I have a feeling I might be carrying this one in the field rather than my prewar Marbles.

Allen, any idea of value on my knife?

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I really don't. I'd go to Randall's price list on their website and start from there. A lot depends on actual condition, has the knive been resharpended since it left the factory, minute nicks & dings, etc. I think your knife is surely worth more than current retail, but how much I'm not sure. For an older Randall, I'll personally me willing to pay more to get a good specimen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome knive! I carry a #8 also and I don't want to even think of carrying something else. Although they are collectable I consider mine a tool, but I am not hard on it either. Every job has a tool that is proper, use the propper tool!
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I find the # 8 The most usefull of the Randalls I own and when my son was born a good friend presented him with a # 8 to be presented to him when he was old enough. He is 9 now and the two of us are going on our first African Safari this July and I think I will present it to him before we leave.
By the way the top edge is an actual edge not a false edbe, the intent was for it to have a differeent bevel to assist in cuting through heavier material.
Semd the nife back to Randall and they will happily refinish and sharpen for a nominal fee.
Mike

No matter what, always fly the plane

Posts: 17 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Thx for all the info. MDA, the back edge on mine IS sharpened. I did not expect it to be and quickly cut my finger. I have always seen false edges but never one that is actually sharp and for using. I will be up in Canada fishing in a few weeks and I think it will be a good excuse to put on my belt. I could latch on to a big muskie and have to cut the line before he pulls the boat under, you never know.

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Perhaps someone can help me id an older Randle that was given to me. It resembles the "All Purpose Fighting Knife" shown as A,

but the handle is a single piece of wood. The color is a deep brick-red. It was bought in the early 70's.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JL without seeing it, just guessing it's probably desert ironwood with no buttcap. Both are options still available.

Posts: 2 | Location: Orlando, Fla. | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote