New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southern Comfort
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

So, ya wanna hunt in my back yard? No? How about my front yard?

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks kind of wide open to me. Easy place to kill something.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is pretty much, most of the time range is limited to less than 50 yards but on odd occasion there's a place or two that would justify a 200 yard zero...rare, but it happens. Bring your waders.....

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey DD, Do you just use a Revolver in there, or do you have a prefered Rifle?

Sure looks nice. I can hear the Acorns dropping in the water now.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Anyplace with pneumatophores is no place for me.

I'll take mountains. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HC, I quit hunting with handguns quite a few years back...before the Blackhawk went stainless and more... Wink

The backdrop in the top photo is about 50 yards, in the bottom you might squeeze 30 yards out of it...it's stillhunt country unless you want to climb a tree, so quick and handy fills the bill for rifles, or a shotgun stuffed with buckshot. The scenes portrayed are not unlike the place where I whacked the hog awhile back, and for that I had a SS 77/44 with a red dot sight. Any short light carbine would do there, favoring non-magnifying optics or iron sights. You wouldn't have to worry much about counting points in fading light...you'll be close regardless. I carried the 77/44 due to rain BTW, but would have been perfectly comfy and equipped with an Ithaca 20 Ga. pump and #3 Buck. In either case the loaded guns would weigh less than 6#, a BIG plus when still hunting this country. Lot of slow motion stooping and bending going on there, weight ain't your friend. shame

If you wanted to climb the trees you'd have a better vista of course, and perhaps the opportunity to shoot as far as 75 yards in some directions in the vicinity of the photos. I'd prefer to walk rather than sit, just my preference.

quote:
I can hear the Acorns dropping in the water now.

Funny you mention that, I've known those that hunted in the trees...carried pebbles into the woods to cast in the water from their stands...gravity powered deer call you won't hear about on the internet...I've not seen it happen myself, but have been assured that deer will stick their face underwater looking for acorns. Dunno if that constitutes a fair shot or not... Confused

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
Anyplace with pneumatophores is no place for me.

I'll take mountains. Smiler...
Hey Canuck, You seem to know the place quite well for a Mountaineer.

It is 22deg this morning in KY, frost as thick as watermelon rind. I'm looking forward to the day when the "white stuff" on the ground is once again Sabulous.
---

Hey DD, Ah yes, the Stainless Paper-Jacket Rifle would be excellent in there.

I've been trying to convince myself that I REALLY NEED one of those Stainless Ruger Single Action "Hunter" revolvers in 44Mag for a few years now. It would make a fine companion for my 444Mar.

Then I get in the Gun Shops and handle the Freedom Arms revolvers and hesitate. Actually, either of them would do fine for me since it would take 3 months of practice to actually consider hunting with them.
---

I was all wedged in beside a blow-down on a piece of Eastern NC Weyerhaeuser land back in maybe 1971-72. Lots of White Oaks which Weyerhaeuser had left near the swamp. Early, just as the sky was picking up some color and probably 34deg. It looked like a sheltered warm spot to provide some protection from the early breezes just after sunrise.

Went out there with two guys that were attending East Carolina for some Squirrel hunting and we split up in different directions. We weren't dressed for the cold, because it was supposed to hit 65deg by noon.

The end of the blow-down was sticking out into water and you could hear an occasional Acorn plop in. I envisioned needing a tote sack to haul the HUGE Red and small Gray Squirrels out of the swamp.

Then I could hear "it" coming through the water. Just a slow movement, but obviously something lifting it's feet and placing them in the water. Had to be a Deer.

I had a M24 Savage 22S,L,LR/.410 and was giving myself a hard time for not carrying a centerfire revolver. And it kept getting closer.

Even thought, "What if it is a Mama Black?" No, probably wouldn't hear it.

Then it appeared around the end of the blow-down. It was one of my hunting buddies. Big Grin He had gotten turned around in the early darkness.

He said the water was "warm" on his feet, so he was just easing along looking for a spot.

We saw about ever critter that resides in a NC swamp that morning, except for a Bear.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Freedom Arms revolvers

There's a no-brainer...if you can afford them. Way superior to anything out of the Ruger factory IMO. I've not shot one of the FA revolvers but know some degenerates up in Jacksonville that have too many...don't think you could build a better production handgun at any price, and Lordy but those hoglegs do shoot! Visited the FA factory a few years back, curious little town FWIW, the state line runs down the middle of one of the streets...got directions to the factory from a young lass...across state lines...hoping that's not a felony and all. Eeker They have the most unusual toilet paper dispenser in the men's room...one of their revolvers bolted to the wall with the paper hanging on the barrel. clap

I do have to admit that there are times when a large bore revolver is tempting me on odd occasion, but it's not going to happen barring unforseen circumstance...20 some years with a 3 screw SBH got that out of my system finally. No darts to the pastime, just doesn't ring my chimes anymore.

Back to the swamp...lugged a Model 94 with a Williams peep thru a lot of miles of that stuff over the years, a fine and dandy application for one too. 30-30 that has killed a LOT of deer, hogs, and the odd bobcrat etc. It's days are not over but some dust has settled upon it in the last few years. Trapper model, the sight I mentioned, sling and Pachmayer pad for LOP issues. Shoots 1" wads at 50 yards and that's about all you need. The 16" barrel is nice too...the sling mostly gets used to drag deer after the fact. Some years back I pondered purchasing one of the Savage O/U's in 12/.30-30, and having the barrel chopped to about 18" for this endeavor. Still think it not a half bad tool for the craft but never got around to doing it. Figured that choke tubes would restore the pattern of the 12, but never quite figured what to do about the rifle side regarding sights. Confused A synthetic stock would have been a nice touch too...sometimes hunting in the bottoms gets a little messy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, looks just like where I hunt now,, just a bit dry Big Grin,, only problem I ever have is the "short neckers" in the early seasons

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave James:
Hell, looks just like where I hunt now,, just a bit dry Big Grin,, only problem I ever have is the "short neckers" in the early seasons
Hey Dave, Just another excellent reason for a Revolver. I normally carry a 6" 357Mag that has the first two cylinders loaded with the Speer Shot Capsules and some real old #7 shot. Tends to give them a very difficult time.
---

Hey Dan, That is interesting about their Toilet Paper Holder. They must have a good sense of humor too.

Yes, the FA Revolvers give me things to think about every time I hold one. Built like a Bank Vault, which I like. And no doubt they are amazingly accurate.

I lean toward the Model they have with the less polished appearance and rubber grips. Only problem is that I know how a Single Action is supposed to "roll" in your hand when in recoil. So the smooth Termite Food stocks on their fancy Model is probably what a person should be using.

And the Ruger Hunter comes with the smooth Gray Laminated stocks.

All my current Centerfire Revolvers are Double Action and all carry some kind of Synthetic grip, primarily Hogue. And Pachmayers on most of the Pistols.

And I do believe the 7.5" 44Mag(from either company) would be plenty of Revolver for me. I really don't see "me" needing a 454. Plus, Speer makes 44cal Shot Capsules.
---

That 30-30/12ga Sav does look like a Deer killing machine. Buckshot or Slug as a choice would indeed be nice.

Then the 30-30 could be Handloaded with about anything a person would want, though I'd probably just go with a 150gr RN Hornady. That 2-diameter Design has always been accurate in everything I've tried them in.

And you could even roll some Squirrels if nothing was moving.

Great combination rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh hell - by the title i thought were going have a discussion on the merits of drinking southern comfort cheers

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or sit back and watch a movie of the same name...in the same setting... But if you'd rather, I'll split a 1/5th with ya. Wink

HC, I'm with you on the .454 too. Along with all the good stuff the cartridge does it will also inflict arthritus and deafness in time, all in the name or equaling a .45-70 in a wheelgun. Not that the standard ol' factory loads for that'n are all that hot in the 300 grain offering, but I do the same with the .44 Mag out of a rifle give or take. My last sidearm was a .357 x 4" barrel, it is all the peeestol a fella needs IMO. But then, I gave 'em up for long guns. They can shoot short, handguns don't do long very well.

OTOH I saw a fella shooting 2" groups with a bow at 25 yards a couple of days back. They were only 3 shot groups(gets crowded on the target), but there was a 20 mph crosswind...he does some squirrel hunting here in the area. clap Use whatever you want.......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, if you ever run across the movie "Southern Comfort," see it. Might be around in video. About a few weekend warriors who screw around and get in over their heads.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Southern Comfort is just a bit too sweet for my taste. Used to give a bottle of it to a fellow named George every Christmas that worked at the Processor where I took my Deer. He made sure absolutely no bloodshot meat got through and that the Deer I took in were the Deer I got back.

I've always liked "Rebel Yell" because it has just the right "bite" to it. Have recently been enjoying some smooooooooth Maker's Mark since the Bill Samuels, Jr. lives fairly close by.
---

When I lived just West of Charlotte, there was an Indoor Range less than a mile from my place. Nice to go there and mess with the Revolvers and Pistols after Deer Season and before Spring.

One day I heard some movement behind me and stopped shooting. Three guys had entered and were setting up their stuff.

We spoke as all folks at a Range normally do and I noticed a shiney FA Revolver coming out of it's case. It was a 454 and had the smooth grips.

The 454 Owner was explaining to the other two guys about the recoil and noise as I decided to put my stuff up and just watch. I got my stuff together, locked it all up in a locker and eased up behind them on the other side of the glass windows behind the Firing Line.

The Range Owner spotted me and asked what I was looking at and I told him they had a 454. He smiled and mentioned it should be interesting.

The 454 Owner got the Targets all ready, assumed the Squat Weaver Stance(which I don't particularly like) and touched one off. It was amazingly LOUD inside, even with the window partition. But then, most folks were shooting 9mm and 45ACPs with occasional 44Mags and 357Mags. It was "impressive" and I think he fired once or twice more.

Lots of BIG Grins from him and his buddies, especially when they noticed we were watching.

Next up was Buddy #1. He assumed some kind of upright Weaver Stance and let one go. When he did, the barrel rose high enough and quickly enough that the Front Sight smashed into the overhead Target Carrier Track and broke the Front Sight off while nearly putting him on his clinton.

The Range Owner and I managed to hold it in until we were out of their sight. I know "I was impressed"! Big Grin
---

357Mag with a 4" barrel would be very handy. In SC they have a 6" Minimum barrel requirement for Deer hunting though.

I'd considered a 44Mag S&W Mountain Revolver, but that 4"-5" barrel would have made it illegal for me to use on Deer.

Always thought a GP100 modified to shoot 4-44Mags with a Magna-Ported 6" barrel and Hogue grips would make an interesting Hunting Revolver.

Never did pursue it though. Not sure the frame could handle it. Always thought John Linebaugh could probably tell me if it was possible.
---

Saw an old Pistolero shoot one of the Titanium 2"-3" S&W 357Mags with Factory Federal 125gr-ers once. His first shot was dead center at 25yds and the rest were all over the place.

He tried to get me to shoot it, but I passed. Told him I might have some 148gr Target Loads if he wanted to try them, but I didn't have them with me.

The recoil from it was brutal. He said he was going right back to the same Gun Shop and swap it in on something else.