Find
Notify
Tools

223 on Elk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone had any luck with using a 223 on Elk? [Confused]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Not into animal rights, Just into humane hunting.

Use something bigger [Wink]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
After dropping down to the varmint board, I can see you're just having fun. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It'd work in the hands of anyone who knows what they're doing.

Have a poster here from Montana that killed a large cow elk,some mule deer and the #23 state record black bear with either a 223 or 22/250 stuffed with Nosler 60 grain Partitions.It's all in where ya hit em.

That being said,if by some fate of the God's I get drawn for the Big Lagoon elk hunt this year,I'll be packing a 378 Weatherby.After seeing two 8x8s and one 9x9 that have been taken there on previous hunts,I AIN'T gonna screw around! [Razz]

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
The 223 for elk? [Roll Eyes] Not this boy! This should cause even more of an uproar than the 45-70 being used for dangerous game. I never understod the idea of useing the smallest round to kill the biggest animal. What is the point? Even with the best shot there is to much margin of error that could wound the animal instead of killing it. These are living animals, not paper targets. They suffer through the mistakes of misguided experiments such as this. I am sure that some one some where has made it work, but you won't find me doing it. Keep the 223s for varmints where they belong.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
[Roll Eyes] [Wink] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Iron Buck, its a penis thing. You know, like the zit heads that drive the jacked up, big tired trucks with the loud mufflers to their jobs at the 7-11. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
The things people will do when theyre bored. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of a deer hunt I was invited to a couple three years back. Turns out, one of the other invitees was carrying a ranch rifle in 223.

Long story short, he told a very colorful story how he had killed a bull elk with it, some years back. Took 14 rounds, IIRC.

I hope that answers your question? Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.223 for elk and a .22 mag for cape buffalo! [Big Grin]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Yea! I do it all the time, bone crushing one shotters. Why do you ask? [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At least a few guys are actually paying attention and do have a sense of humor.

Yeah this was strickly as a joke to see what kind of response I got.

At least we have intelligent people one here who can have a sense of humor. [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They work on elephants. But only when you use SMK's. [Wink]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It would of course be only a survival scenario, but a careful shot to the temple, top of head (lowered to feed or drink, or from above) base of skull, or to neck (near skull) would of course suffice. Something like sub 50m range would be necessary, and a braced firing position, so that you could really count on putting that bullet within .5" of where you wanted it. Something like the 60 gr NOsler Partition would of course be the best bet. In snow, or with a dog to help you find the cripple, or with the animal at least 200 yds from any sort of cover, a 55 gr, cannelured military fmj might suffice, with a lung hit, if not beyond 100yds, from a long barrel. Such bullets fragment, causing a lot of tissue destruction. Such a bullet, thru both lungs would bring him down in a fairly short time and space. It'd be a terrible thing to have to do, tho.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that a 223 could kill an Elk in the hands of a good marksman. Hell you could most likely kill one a sling shot or spear but my question would be:
WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO TRY. [Eek!]

[ 06-03-2003, 22:56: Message edited by: Handloader ]

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a highly patient and competent marksman on the trigger, knowlegdable in the animals anatomy I have no doubt it could be done. Any one who could not take an elk with a .30 magnum with a 180+ gr Match King would have no chance of doing it though.

W.D.M. "Karamoja" Bell kill nearly 1000 elephant and his primary choice of caliber was the 7x57 Mauser. He was not the only hunter performing such "stunts" a century or so ago, as the .256 Manlicher as well as various 6.5mm and .33s were used by other hunters. Bell dropped a group of 3 Cape Buffalo with 3 shots from a .256 Manlicher simply because his crew needing feeding.

However, maybe animals have evolved into tougher specimens or now don kevlar vests. [Big Grin]

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Roughhewn

When Bell hunted elephant they didn't know what the report of the rifle was. They didn't run off, so he was able to pick his shots carefully.

Yes he had a detailed knowledge of the anatomy of an elephants skull - by sawing one up and studying it in great detail.

He also mentions taking the tails of elephant and at least once having more tails than bodies when they were collecting the ivory ie there was a living tail-less elephant very angry in the bush [Mad]

He also used a 7x57 as in the tall grass he used to sit on a tripod so as to see over the grass. His big bore used to knock him backwards off the tripod. So he switched to a 7x57 with heavier for calibre solids. Which penetrate well.

Its all in his books. Have a re-read. Its enjoyable.

And as has been said before - how many of these people do we NOT read of, because they died in the act.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Properly used the 223 would work on elk..I don't find it all that impossible, if one modifys his hunting technique he can kill any animal with any caliber...In this case one would need to slip in close in the thick stuff and stick one of those 60 GR. HOrnadys in his ear...I know a local rancher lady who has consistently killed her yearly elk with a 22-250 using that very method....but if you do not have the capability and restraint to do it properly then it is a taboo caliber tending to wound...same applies to the 22 L.R.

Posts: 41987 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire,

I saw a really nice 6x6 rack that was taken with a 25-20. I wouldn't recomend the 223 but it can be done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
you need at least a 458 mag for bears and 375 H&H for elks , because even if you miss the elk certainly the muzzle blast will kill them or make them deaf, then you can approach them and finnish them with a hammer [Big Grin] and if you have a 3030 throw it away it won't kill a deer any more. [Razz] and of cours you can shoot mice with your 223 [Wink]
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea great results... In fact my one and only go to gun for 110% of my hunting is a full blown custom SMLE chambered for the .223 rem. I'll get around to using it on a buff huint next year! [Eek!]

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NitoX, Bell also wrote of stopping charges with his 7x57 after he had fired on several elephants, so it would seem they were reacting to the shot and desired to eliminate the source of danger. One of his illustrations of a proper aim point was on the heart and lower lungs, just as we shoot elk and more fragile deer species. .223 SS109 62 gr FMJSteelCore on elk would be proportionally larger than 7mm 173 gr FMJ on elephant. To borrow an opinion put forth by Bell: If your bullet disrupts a vital organ it matters little what bullet is used. That said, my aim point on elk would be the brain with a .223.

On, second thought I might have to change my tune and agree with everything in Danny Pay's post. Maybe I should trade in this .300 WSM and all these moly 190 Match Kings for a .416 Rigby with 400 gr solids for these Alabama whitetail, in case they procure bullet proof vests like so much of the North American game is apparently doing. I will no longer be able to hunt the larger species because I can not tolerate the recoil of a 20mm AA gun.

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think people will try anything on the basis that something is possible. It has nothing to do with hunting and wounded animals that suffer are common proof of that.

Posts: 45 | Location: Poland | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pavel,

I posted this to see the response.

Although I am a smaller caliber user, I would not use a 223 on elk. If 22 caliber was all I had to use, then with a 22/250 Maybe, very maybe and then we would really be into all about what real shot placement is.

I have heard old timers here in Oregon on the coast,say that the 22 Mag was an Elk poachers cartridge. However since I am not an elk poacher,,,,

Pavel is paying attention. This is a test, only a test.....