Find
Notify
Tools

Az. Archery (recurve) Bull Elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted
Well, once again I did not draw an elk tag, but my husband was fortunate enough to draw and connect with his recurve last Thursday. It was a 30 yard shot and the bull started to take off as the arrow left the rest. The hit was a little further back than where Chris wanted, but the quartering away shot knicked the bread basket and took out the left lung.

Krueger's Creations Taxidermy
Phoenix, Arizona

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
What an excellent recurve trophy.

I would be proud of that with a rifle. thumb

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bull! Arizona was an awsome tag to have this year. Congrats!

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a great trophy! He will cherish the memories of that hunt a lifetime! thumb

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OUTSTANDING!!!
Your husband did GREAT. An awesome Elk too.
Gotta show this to my son. He's off on an Archery Deer hunt now. He LIVES for Archery hunting.

Don

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Great bull! Congrats to Chris.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Super elk with a recurve, or any weapon for that matter. Congrats!

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Well my tag is for antlerless but I'm hoping what I've seen here so far for bull elk continues through the rut. Didn't even see one last year but so far it's looking promising for this year.

What unit was your Hubby hunting?

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken,

Unit 4A. This is an incredible year for all game harvests in AZ. The success rate is the highest in years for our clients and we have had a very high percentage of outstanding trophy elk, antelope and bear come in so far. I am getting pumped for my coues deer hunt in Dec.

Chris is out bear hunting presently and reports the elk are bugling and he's seeing bulls with cows daily.

Chris thanks you all for your comments! (I can't get that guy to go near a computor.)

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW.
Eeker
My dream hunt! Maybe someday!

Congrats to Chris

Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Hilliard-Krueger:
Ken,

Unit 4A. This is an incredible year for all game harvests in AZ. The success rate is the highest in years for our clients and we have had a very high percentage of outstanding trophy elk, antelope and bear come in so far. I am getting pumped for my coues deer hunt in Dec.

Chris is out bear hunting presently and reports the elk are bugling and he's seeing bulls with cows daily.

Chris thanks you all for your comments! (I can't get that guy to go near a computor.)

Kind regards,
Mary

Hey Mary,

I trust there is not chance of a short notice "guide" in unit 9 for cow elk. I am relatively new to this and don't have anything but the clothes, 5th wheel, rifles and desire to have a successful hunt. That said, my "mentor"/hunting partner isn't going to make it and I don't have enough personal experience or equipment to complete this hunt. Just curious about all of this and if possible, how much would it cost?

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken,

Your best bet is to look in the back of the Az. hunting regs. There are dozens of outfitters/guides listed. I am confident you will find someone who is very familiar with that unit, who will be able to aid you in getting that cow elk.

Best of Luck,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang nice bull!!
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed, congrats to the husband! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One hell of a bull. And taken with a REAL bow too.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote