New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 or 300 saum?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm hoping in the next few years to hunt moose, elk, caribou, dall sheep and maybe even grizzly. Plus I've got a bear hunt to Idaho booked for June and a trip to South Africa planned for August. I've got a 30-06 but.......... lately I've looking for a rifle a little lighter and maybe with a little more power than my 06. I'm thinking of buying a Remington 700 SS BDL in 300 saum, add a High Tech stock and maybe have the barrel fluted. By doing that I think I could be down to around 6 3/4 pounds, bare rifle. Add talley rings, a light weight Leupold and I hoping for 7.5 pound. Not one of JimF's 6 pounders but still about a pound less than the 06 I have, which sort of covers the light weight problem. After doing so research the 300 saum seems to yeild about 200fps more, across the board, than my 06. Yes, with more recoil. But, my question is........ is it worth it??

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark instead of going through all that just get a Kimber 84 Montana in 300wsm. With a 2.5X8 Leupold it comes in a 7lbs.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think 200 fps and more recoil is woth the expenditure. If you want something for the bigger game you should consider one of the bigger bores.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one handloads, the difference in the velocity potential or the 300 RSAUM over the 30/06 is not that great.

Also take a look at a trajectory chart. How much do you loose on trajectory with the 30/06 and how much more point of impact energy do you loose compared to the 300 Short Mag? YOU might gain 25 yds point blank range.

If someone wants a new rifle, cool, ............. however I wouldn't waste the time to base these differences as a reason.

Consider you can get '06 brass and loaded ammo ANYWHERE on the planet, that alone would negate me looking at the Short Mag at all. Also having a magazine capacity of 5 vs 3 would also not make me look at the Short Mag at all.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No.

To take the high road, why not consider upgrading in the horsepower department to compliment your -06 rather than replace it? Maybe a .338 Win Mag or .375 H&H?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I would stick with the 30-06, for all the reasons already mentioned above. For some of the stuff you're planning it would be best to add a 338 or bigger in whatever flavor you like.

As much I love it, if I look at my WinMag in the sobering light of day I have to admit that it doesn't really give me that much more power over an 06 and that to really get a worthwhile increase I'd have to step up a caliber. Add to that the expensive and harder-to-find 300SUAM ammo and the 06 looks even more appealing.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have some interesting responses already, I guess I will throw in a new idea.

Why not just buy a Winchester Model 70 Camo Ultimate Shadow chambered in the 300 WSM?

I agree that the 30-06 is probably all you need, but the new short mags are interesting and a new rifle once in a while is a great deal.

The Camo Ultimate Shadow weighs 6 3/4 pounds bare. Chambered in the 300 WSM it will give you just a little more velocity than the Remington 300 SAUM. The action and barrel are stainless steel, the barrel is 24 inches. The stock is a composite that is offered in Mossy Oak New Break-Up camoflouge.

My buddies own these rifle chambered in 270 WSM and 7 WSM and they are really nice rifles. They handle quite well and point like pointing your finger. They feed well and with the stainless steel barrel and action and the composite stock, they should do well in any kind of weather.

Just an idea, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I agree that if you want another rifle you should look at something that isnt as similar. With the bullet availability of an 06 you can load up anything from 125 grainers at 3300 fs to 220 grainers @ 2600 fs and numerous loads inbetween. That covers a very wide spectrum of hunting abilities. With that knowledge in mind, I would opt for something substantially different, say maybe somewhere inbetween a 338 Winchester and a 416 Rigby.

Sounds to me like youve got a case of "bored with my 06 itis". Those damn 06'es just work so good they make it hard for a guy to justify anything else.

Sometimes when I get bored with my current battery I will try finding new data sources and try different bullets or powders, not only can the results be gratifying, but the practice makes me a better marksman. Improvements on current rifles also have a way of boosting their appeal.

Beware of the one rifle hunter..

Posts: 10141 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Shame on you.

In relation to this subject, if I may quote the recent wisdom of economic developers who have learned that it may be better to help existing businesses rather than laying out the red carpet for new comers...

"Dance with who brung ya!"

'06!

How many game animals have been lost due to the '06's lack of 200 fps? NONE!
Has she stuck with you since you were a whelp? YES!
Will you ever have trouble with ammo, anywhere in the galaxy? NO!
Which gun will not be laughed at by experienced guides the world over? '06!

Although innovation is what keeps this country great and the .300 SAUM has a few more fps there are some things worth sticking with.

Hopefully we will not make similar comparisons to our wives.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with most of the posts above. The 06 won't lose an animal that the 300 SAUM or WSM would kill. Shot placement is key, all else is moot. The price of a new gun can be put towards an extra kudu + warthog in RSA, they will be a lot more memorable than a SS rifle that nearly duplicates the current one you have. If your current piece is wood/blued you might want to weatherproof it before the rough weather hunts, that's about it

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I would save my money and keep the .06..Loaded with Federals High Energy loades it equals the old but great 300 H&H mag.None of the creatures on your list would notice any difference in the .06 and 300 saum.

Where is your hunt for bear here in Idaho?

Good luck...Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want more punch I would buy a .338...just my thoughts

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Where is your hunt for bear here in Idaho?"

I booked the hunt with another AR member, John the Greek. The hunts in northern Idaho, up near Elk City as I understand it. Its a two tag area and I'm hoping to bring home at least one nice color phase.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a new gun and a new cartridge, that is fine and good, but I would caution you regarding the .300 saum, or any saum--I don't think they are long for this world and brass (or loaded ammo) may become hard to get in time. Others will disagree, but the WSM's have really out done the saum's in sales and I expect Remington to abandon them in due time. We'll see.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"Where is your hunt for bear here in Idaho?"

I booked the hunt with another AR member, John the Greek. The hunts in northern Idaho, up near Elk City as I understand it. Its a two tag area and I'm hoping to bring home at least one nice color phase.

Hi Mark-We call Elk City in Central Idaho.I live very close to Elk City and it is a very good place for bear.

Good luck on your hunt....Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mark65x55,

Just get whatever you think you want but keep the .30-06 because, like many of us, you'll likely be going back to the -06 somewhere down the line.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Mark, I'd take a regular old 1963-vintage .300 Winchester Magnum over either the .30-06 or .300 SAUM. The .300 Winchester will out-perform either one, is more widely-available than the .300 SAUM by far and away, and it certainly feeds better from the magazine than the .300 SAUM as well.

The only other cartridges that I'd consider in thirty-caliber are the .300 H&H and the .300 Weatherby.

In any event, I'd choose the .30-06 over the short/fat .300s any day of the week..........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a 375 H&H or just keep the '06. With the 375 you are loaded with the traditional big brown bear cartridge. You also are in for dangerous game in Africa when that urge makes itself demanding. The '06 and 375 make a great world wide two rifle combo. Good huntigng. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
I'm a serious fan of the 30.06- I really like mine... but if I didn't have a .30cal and was looking for what I think would be the best all around .30 I'd buy a 300WSM.

..not selling my .06 though.

If I was looking for something for NA big bears and I wanted something more than my .06 or a 300WSM I'd buy a .338WM

.. but I'd hunt anything in NA with my .06...

If I was going to Africa and needed something bigger than my .06 I'd either borrow or rent a .375H&H for the trip or borrow one from my guide when I got there. I wouldn't buy one for just the one trip.

..but my .06 would handle all the plains animals...

my new turn-on are the two .30 Nosler Accubonds 180g & 200g-

WOW a plastic tip controlled expansion very accurate boat tail and they're only 36� each! Very Kewl....

one of us
posted Hide Post
375 H&H same hold out to 300yds. Only one hold over to think about as the -06 and the 375 are about the same out to 300 yds. If you don't want the 375, the 350 rem in the 673 would be another step up in power and simular ranging ability.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Sounds like you've been reading the gun magazines again! They always make it sound like if you don't have the latest and the greatest, you should never go afield. If you want to get something different, by all means go ahead, but like others responders, I think a change of caliber would give you more options (listen to the guy who has had an -06 for years and went out and bought a 300RUM, but that's another story). BTW my REM 700 -06 with a custom kevlar stock and 2-7 compact weighs 7lb 2oz.
Russ

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would keep the 30-06, maybe put it in a quality synthetic stock, add an extra scope and changing the mounts to quality QD's. Then I would get a 375 H&H. A 338 is a great NA rifle, but the 375 covers the legalities in Africa.
Add a 470 double rifle and you have a true world wide battery.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote