New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New Shooter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Stumped--I too had the thrill of going through this with my grandson. Congrats to the boy. What rifle did he use and where is the lease located? I hunt not far from San Angelo,Tx and my 15 year old grandson has gotten 3 this year. There is pic of one on this board. BTW on these boards--lots of one hole groups shot with keyboard lol--but for grandson to do it is fantastic.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My 10-year-old grandson ask if he could hunt deer this year. He had never fired a rifle but we been shooting a scoped pellet gun in the back yard. He is quit good at this.
I told him we would go to the range & if things were ok he could hunt. I was hoping he would
shoot under 3 in.
Wow first 2 were in the white bull at 50 so we moved to the 100 & he fired 2 that you could cover with a nickel.

Coltons first ever shot at a 100
[image][/image]

We went to our deer lease the next day & this little guy showed about 5 pm
Hit him right behind the shoulder dead center at (around) 90 yards. I be a proud grandpaw.

[image][/image]

Posts: 7 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've gotten ten times the enjoyment out of deer killed by my son, and by other kids that I've taken hunting, than out of anything I've ever killed myself. Now I've got a grandson that will be ready in just a few years. That's got to be even better!

CONGRATULATIONS, Stumped

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now he's got REAL self esteem !!! I hope grandpa is also teaching him how to butcher , cook and eat the deer .

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR ,stumped.
I went thru this wonderful ritual w/both my boys.
Now I am waiting for my grankids to grow a little more.
I can hardly wait.
Fine boy you got there.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Truly a blessing! Praise your grandson big time...lots of 'ada boys'.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MAN !!! That's what its about right there. I can see the smile on his face with his head down.

You should be proud !!
Thanks for sharing

Posts: 90 | Location: EastTN | Registered: 21 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Tell your grandson Congratulations on his Deer great shooting.

All of you guys and ladies talking about Grandkids hunting has got me envious. I have three boys from 21 to 23 and none of them are married yet. I can only hope but I look forward to taking the Grandkids hunting if I am not too old by then (48) and getting older everyday.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stumped, Welcome Aboard and congratulations to both you and the grandson.

How about a few more details concerning the hunt? What kind of rifle and loads? Factory ammo or did you all reload them? What bullet? Did it Exit?

What time of day did he get it? What kind of terrain? From a Stand?

A "one shot kill" speaks very well for the instruction he received before he went on the hunt. Congratulations again.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good shootin and a fine buck. You should both be proud.

Maybe you said, but where'd he hit the deer?

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow a six pointer for his first buck. I'll bet your not nearly as proud as the new hunter in the family ! Now the next step is a new gun there grand dad. I mean for you. You know there's nothing this lad will ever prize more in life than owning one of grand dads guns. Congrats on keeping our hunting heritage going to the next generation !

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stumped,
Good work Grandpa, and congrats to the grandson.
Let us know what kind of equipment you outfitted this budding deer sniper with.
My oldest granddaughter is only two, can hardly wait until she is big enough to start shooting the 260.

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Well done Colton! Stumped, you done good too.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
That is great shooting on the target and even better on his deer.

Congratulations to the young man, and I hope you get to share may days in the field together.

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guy�s thanks for all the kind words.

The gun is a 222 mag shooting a 52 gr Nosler solid base match hp @ 3350.
This bullet stays together & really shoots in this little gun. Can�t buy them anymore & We have few left.

Rifle started out as a 222.We re-chambered- cut the stock- cut the barrel to 19 � - target crown- squared the action- trigger job- floated & glassed � everything we could think of to make her shoot. She�s been sitting in my closet for years waiting for Colton to get old enough to play. I gave her to Colton that day on the range.

Luck
Stumped

Ps-kids can learn all the fundamentals with a scoped pellet gun- especially one that will shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stumped--You never said where the deer was taken. The facts that it was on a lease and taken with .22 cal and the scenery in the picture makes me guess Texas??? I started my grandson on 22 centerfires and he took his first few deer with them. He took one with my Rem 600 in .222. At age 11 he moved up to .243 and thats what he shoots now. I have a .308 I plan on giving him if he likes it--not to say the .243 is too small.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stumped, There ain't nothing prouder than a Father with his sons first deer. I know, I've been there twice. I'm in the process of working on grandkids and I know it's still lot of fun.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

You guessed it. Central TX- Bastrop- Travis Co. line
I am looking farther west- would like some hogs & turkeys.

Stumped

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Nice buck!!!!! My father used to own some land about 5 miles from Paige,Tx. He sold it this year. Very close to where you are. Have alot of memories from that area.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the both of you! And most of all Thanks for keeping it going in the younger guys. My hunting camp for the last 8-10 years has been my little leaguer's my son's football and basketball buddies. They all were a lot of fun. They also ate my cooking without complaint. Most are in college now. I'm waiting for their kids. Merry Christmas, Chain

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote