Find
Notify
Tools

Cow Elk Hunts-????????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted
Looking for a cow elk hunt in Utah, NM, Colorado, etc. We are needing a guided hunt with or without lodging. We can stay in hotel in local town and get our own meals if needed. If meals and lodging is in the hunt, we bring are wife's (who do not hunt) put they are our spotters and go out with us. It would be a 2X1 hunt. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
Respectfully,
The Senator (Jerry Kazee)
jdkazee@comcast.net

Life Member NRA
Life Member CA Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
DOJ Certified Handgun Instructor
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Posts: 535 | Location: Lincoln, CA 95648 | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there are plenty of places for this to happen, but if you want a nice, hard as you want, or easy as you'd like, hotel based hunt, check out the Jicarilla Apache Reservation. The elk hunting isn't bad, and you can look at their magnificent mule deer (which is just as good as hunting the elk) for free! I did this hunt in 2003 over thanksgiving, and our party of 3 got 2 cows, but snow had yet to push the herds out of the mountainous north section of the reservation into the southern section (the hunts are divided into northern and southern zones). It was a great experience, and I'm sure to go back when time allows... maybe even this year... hmmm. Keith Manwell was our guide. He worked for the tribal equivalent of the EPA and he did a great job. the Dulce best western was nice and the food at the hotel restaurant was pretty good. I wish I could tell you the price, but the 2009 regs haven't been determined. Here's their site

http://www.jicarillahunt.com/about.php

Andy

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
I recommend Kiowa Hunting Service in Raton, NM. They offer a cow elk hunt on the Vermejo Park Ranch. The cost is reasonable and the tag is guaranteed. It's a fair chase hunt (no high fences,) you are but guaranteed to get your elk. I've hunted with them 8 times and brought back an elk every time.

It's not a wilderness experience. No horses, camping or serious hiking. Lodging and meals are not provided.

Here's what the country looks like. I killed a cow out of this herd.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
look at the lodge at chama. they have a web site. might either be the lodge at chama or chama land and cattle co. cow elk hunts are around 1600.00 and you stay at their first-rate lodge and eat their excellent food. numerous cow elk hunts in the west. do a google for elk hunts and you'll find plenty. good luck.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Check your PM's give me a call.

ted

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all you guys for your input.
Ted Thorn I will call you!!
Respectfully,
The Senator (Jerry Kazee)
jdkazee@comcast.net

Life Member NRA
Life Member CA Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
DOJ Certified Handgun Instructor
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Posts: 535 | Location: Lincoln, CA 95648 | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote