THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Best sling design for heavy rifles??? Retail distribs...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best sling design for heavy rifles??? Retail distribs...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I'm wondering what sort of sling,is best for lugging around a heavy rifle, in this case, a CZ 550 Magnum.

Any preferences??

Also, any good on line stores for reloading components, 22 long rifle ammunition, etc?

gs

------------------
Because enquiring minds want to know...
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Socrates I use a "claw sling" but I can not recall who makes it as I chucked the label out. But it works well, I know it is an American product so you will have it in America, I use it for my CZ 550.

Regards PC

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Socrates,

I recently bought a "Vero Vellini" (sp?) sling from Cabelas. Haven't had a chance to do a lot of rifle packing with it, but have done several 200 yd jaunts with the Mod 70 Stainless Classic H&H with it. It really sticks to my shoulder (doesn't slip at all), and I hardly notice the rifle's weight. The only complaint that I have thus far is that it is a little longer than I am used to, but that may be a "plus" with a barrel mounted swivel stud.

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the "Competitor Plus" military sling from Brownells. Expensive, but worth it!

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Socrates... I am wondering when you would be useing this sling? I use one when I am trasporting game or a pack or very rough terrain, but almost never when I am activly hunting, and certainly never when my rifle is loaded and I am carying something else. Slings for me seem to always get caught on something, and veiw them as somewhat dangerious. At times you can use a sling to balance a shot, but I havent done that in ages. I carry a very simple nylon sling with a sewin pad. It is always in my pack, on my belt, or in a pocket... out of the way, but there when I need it.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Juneau>
posted
Take a look at Dick Murray's "Quick Set Sling". I've been using them for a number of year now, and really like them. Actually had a chance to "use it" (as a sling is meant to be used when shooting) on 3 different occassions - 2 moose, 1 cape buffalo. They are kind of spendy ($50), but are of the highest quality, as all Dick's products are. Anyway, take a look.
www.murraycustomleather.com

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
None they snag on things too often. When you need a big gun it is caught up in the bushes.

[This message has been edited by alekojjensen (edited 04-03-2002).]

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Butler Creek comfort stretch sling on my rifle, 9 1/2 lbs gets a bit heavy trecking through goat country, the sling works great.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 308 Win. I use for windy day coyote hunting that weighs 11 pound. I use a sling by Tactical Intervention www.tacticalintervention.com It is a black nylon web type sling with a detachable cuff designed for tactical situations. It is a super hunting sling with the detachable upper arm cuff. It is 1 5/8" wide and distributes the weight very well. Since I tried this sling I dont use my bipod anymore. With the cuff from a sitting or prone position it is very steady. Bipods just never seem quite right when the shot presents it self.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Tigar>
posted
I second the Butler Creek recommendation. My brother used one when sheep hunting Alaska and recommended it to me. They aren't pricey - only about $15-18 but they work great.

They are padded and have rubberized bumps that really grip your shoulder well. Best of all with a heavy gun (which mine is), they have some springy stretch to them and they honestly make the gun feel a couple pounds lighter. (Buddies feel my gun and talk about it being heavy, but they sling it on their shoulder and agree it doesn't feel bad.) The sling doesn't dig into your shoulder after a while like most others.

I've used it in the Colo. and MT mountains and done a LOT of hiking - very comfortable. A heavy gun just gets too tiring to carry in your arms all the time.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Butler Creek. Its the only sling I use anymore. I admit it's not very pretty but it sure makes carrying a heavy rifle a lot easier. Same goes for the Butler Creek bino strap.

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I REALLY like the Hunter MagnaSoft neoprene sling. I think it is similar to the Butler Creek. Doesn't slip, is a wee bit stretchy (which helps keep it tight to your shoulder), and although it is black synthetic, the brown leather gussets help it look a little better on a wood stock. $12.95 at Wallymart.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
I use a sling in open high country but agree with smallfry and alecko when you're in the thick stuff, alders, waitabit, and such; I leave the sling at home or in the pack.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Went looking for slings today, and didn't find any I liked, or that you all mentioned.
Have to look harder.

gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
Socrates:
Try this link for reloading components and other stuff; www.armsandammo.com.

Good Luck,
Ben H

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, said underconstruction, no joy.
gs

<Terry P>
posted
I'll second Juneau's post and say take a look at Dick Murray's slings. Get the 1 1/4" for the 375HH. They are a little pricey but it is good quality.

<Fat Bastard>
posted
Socrates, check that link. It's got a period on the end that shouldn't be there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Vero Velllin and they sure do take the weight of your shoulder...

Avoid the very wide slings like a plague, they tend to slip off once you get tired and your shoulders slope...

I do not care for slings, but I do carry a 7/8" one piece thin carry sling in my day pack or pocket, just in case...Have not used it much over the years, except on walks back to the bakkie or camp, but who knows, I'm not getting any younger...I don't buy off on all this thick plush comfort business, the thin leather sling suits me, its light, not awkard, doesn't slip and the shoulder will toughen up in a day or two..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Butler Creek, the ones with the shell holders they give you 4 handy rounds. It is not a good sling if yoou want to do a quick handy sling movement as they streach. I like the soft neoprine for a good rest on a rock or other very hard surface.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote