THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Not Crocodile Dundee.....note: Buffalo not Apple fans.....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not Crocodile Dundee.....note: Buffalo not Apple fans.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
quote:
GENERAL OUTDOORS NEWS
Man Attacked by Bison in Yellowstone after Approaching It with iPad
BY: Daniel Xu + POSTED: 6/5/15

A second bison attack in less than a month occurred in Yellowstone this week.

Officials at Yellowstone National Park say that a 62-year-old Australian man was tossed into the air several times by a bison after he got within five feet of the animal. The incident occurred on Tuesday after a crowd had gathered around a resting bison near Old Faithful. Bison are not an unusual sight in the park and are allowed to roam freely, but finding one so close to the asphalt path attracted many tourists. Bystanders say the victim was a part of the crowd and was reportedly taking pictures of the animal on his iPad.

“Possibly, the person who ends up being gored or attacked is maybe not the one who is harassing the animal,” Park spokesperson Arm Bartlett told CNN. “(The bison) may have been approached all day long… eventually the animal reaches its breaking point and charges people.”

Unfortunately for the victim, he found himself in the path of a bison that has been poked one too many times. Officials say the man was thrown into the air more than once and later admitted to a hospital. Although the extent of his injuries was not specified, the victim was well enough to be released later in the day.

Experts continue to remind visitors that bison, even if they seem friendly or are close to human structures, are still wild animals and should not be approached beyond 25 yards.

“Just because the animal is near the trail or boardwalk doesn’t mean it’s tame,” Bartlett told the Associated Press. “A ranger can’t be at every bison all the time, so people need to keep that common sense.”

This is the second bison attack in Yellowstone in less than a month. On May 15, a 16-year-old Taiwanese exchange student was seriously gored when she attempted to take a “selfie” with another bison also near Old Faithful. Bison injuries—even fatal ones—occur nearly very year in the park, yet officials say having two incidents within such a short time frame is unusual. Some say this may be a sign of increasingly carelessness from visitors despite repeated warnings not to approach wild animals. Rangers are asking tourists to keep an eye on their surroundings and not be distracted by their cameras or phones.

“Bison can sprint three times faster than humans can run and are unpredictable and dangerous,” Yellowstone officials said in a press release last month. “Just because an animal may be near a trail or boardwalk does not mean it should be approached within the recommended safe distances. Visitors are advised to give the animals enough space and be willing to alter their plans to avoid interacting with an animal in close proximity.”

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stupid is as Stupid does.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
"Got within 5 feet of the Buffalo", "was then tossed in the air several times",
"Gored while taking a "selfie" with a Buffalo"

What is wrong with people? I mean really. Are people completely devoid of any sense at all??

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Disneyfied. Many folks in this country are so far removed from the land and its inhabitants that they have no real understanding or appreciation for either.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a trip to Yellowstone a few years ago. I saw an older VW bus parked on the side of the road. The travelers were sitting a few yards off the road in lawn chairs, with several bison milling around them. Must have had California plates.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Reminds me of a trip to Yellowstone a few years ago. I saw an older VW bus parked on the side of the road. The travelers were sitting a few yards off the road in lawn chairs, with several bison milling around them. Must have had California plates.

'Airing-out' the van, enjoying the 'high' and 'communing' with nature.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometime you eat the bear. Sometime the bear eats you.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wife and I were in the Black Hills on a turkey trip several years ago. While driving we saw a couple cars pulled off at a salt lick and two white mountain goats at the lick. Two Japanese tourists were edging closer and closer to get more pictures. The goats were backed up against a rock wall with no where to escape. The bigger on started lowering and raising its head as the two tourists closed to ten or so FEET. I drove off as I didn't want to be delayed as a witness when that goat gored the morons.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously stupid has no race, nationality, age or possibly religion.

Obviously the Yellowstone Bison are doing their bit to remove stupid from the gene pool - the shallow end.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last time I was in yellowstone they had a huge 7x6 elk along with a couple of lesser bulls cross the road and laid down maybe 25 yds off the road, well cars started piling up blocking all lanes, people started getting braver and followed them to their resting place some as close as 5 or 6 feet. A ranger showed up and advised the people they would start getting $25 fines for harassing the elk if they where forced to move. After the people took heed to the threat of the ranger I asked him what if the elk went at them, the ranger looked at me and said I would call an ambulance and start writing tickets when they got to the hospital. The elk could go on their way.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote