Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Hill Country Axis Buck
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Took this guy last Wednesday morning. We had seen several axis bucks coming into our "Spring" hunting location that has a natural spring and man made retention pond.

Took him right at first light at 135 yards with 308 Win with 165 gr Aframes at 2,775 fps. Went through the left shoulder, heart, lungs, and out in front of the right hip. Didn't even expand that much. I'm thinking might need to switch to Sciroccos or Game Kings. Poked through both shoulders on an Aoudad at 330 yards last November with the same rifle and round, little expansion.

He ran 30 yards, no blood. Not even much where he lay. I thought I had lost him. Drove up on the scene and right past him, almost ran him over. I was focused elsewhere.

He wasn't the longest one I've shot, but I liked it deep wide shape and the fact the cottle tines point to the rear.

Best part, I was solo (except for my dog) and was recovering from a back injury. Lots of fun loading him!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very pretty. He has nice dark horns and what seems to me a nice dark coat. Time if year?
I think Axis are absolutely beautiful animals

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice except: Took, huh??

Thanks for sharing the pictures,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Axis are probably the prettiest and tastiest critters Texas has to offer (at least in my limited experience). Well done on a beautiful buck.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 25 July 2017 20:47 Hide Post
Awesome! Axis are probably the prettiest and tastiest critters Texas has to offer (at least in my limited experience). Well done on a beautiful buck.

i did my 1st one a couple years ago and would do it again just for the meat

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
#11 for my family and I. Still looking for a true 40" free range! My dream axis!

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Males have more black along the backbone than females. I had one tanned in San Antonio at the Nugget Company 139 Kemper St. ($160). 210-224-2361
They have a beautiful soft cape. It looks great on the top of a couch. The other thing folks do with the hide is to make pillows out of the skins. I skinned mine right away-got all of the meat off the hide, salted it down with emphasis on the edges, refrigerated it and got it to the tanner's the next day.
When I drive by all the Axis road kills in the hill country I feel sorry for the beautiful pelts that go to waste.
The males out weigh our hill country whitetails and must cause more vehicle damages. Axis must think they can out run a car. it seems that there are lots that go to the vultures.

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a handsome buck! Nice work Austin.

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one for sure.Axis is on my Bucket list.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee. What a pretty animal.

Congrats!

Really tasty you say?

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
They have a great "roar" they make during the rut. Can hear it echo down valleys and canyons for miles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful animal---Congrats!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful buck! I had axis for lunch today, love that stuff.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one for sure with a nice darker color.

Yeah the A Frame might be a bit too much bullet. The AccuBond or the Ballistic Tip Hunting in the Noslers or as you say the Game Kings might be a better choice for lighter deer. Ive used all three with good results. I can't say on the Sciroccos though.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beauty!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Axis

Posts: 75 | Location: South Louisiana | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Axis, Austin - congratulations! I hope to do as well next month west of Austin.

Great photos, too! Thanks for sharing.

Brittman