Notify
Tools

Who's hunting ELK in Colorado?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of whtailtaker
posted
I understand that Colorado has the largest herd of ELK
just interested in who's going and when with what?
where you are going to hunt private,public,guided, unguided,etc

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be hunting public land in unit 61. I will be hunting late season and using a 6.5-284. It will be my 1st time in that area.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whtailtaker
posted Hide Post
I will be in unit 11 public land
bull tag first rifle season
Winchester model 70 in 300 Win Mag 180gr federal barnes triple shock

unit 61 is down south

Posts: 127 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina and Regions West | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cow license as a third alternate Area #80. I am going the second season unguided (I grew up there) some private and some public land. Good area but some tough climbin and beautiful scenery.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be in unit 55 first combined season (third week in oct)I hunt public land on my own. Probably take the .375, and maybe take a .338 that I just got through putting together. Good luck to all!

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
My hunting buddy got his Cow Elk tag in Unit 70, 3rd Rifle Season. We always hunt unguided on public land. Been hunting there for years and pretty much know where to go.

I don't know yet if I'm going or not. We didn't draw our Buck tags for the first time in 20 years, about 6 or 8 of us.

That Unit 61 tag is, or used to be anyway, a trophy area. I used to know some ranchers in that area and have hunted there, but YEARS ago.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've booked an elk hunt in the Three Forks ranch
http://www.threeforksranch.com/
for Sept. 7-11 th 2004.

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt the 4th Colorado season with a group of 12 experienced hunters "some would say redneck idiots" who would scoff at someone using a guide. We pay a trespass fee to hunt BLM ground as well as private in Northwest Colorado near Craig. We hunt the White River herd and do quite well when the snows come. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ill be hunting area 2 in the 3rd season. We have a total of 4 cow tags, 1 buck deer tag and a doe tag. I'm guessing we will fill both deer tags and 2 or 3 of the cow tags. Gotta love that elk steak!!

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I will be hunting on public land in area 62 during the first Combined Season. I will be using my Rem. Mod. 700 7mm RM w/ some Sierra 160 BTSPs.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Not me, I got my refund check in the mail last week . . . Maybe next year!

Shoot, the Conejos valley was a calling my name too!

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be hunting BLM & private land east of Hayden in unit 13 for the early season which is an either sex tag.

This year I'm taking my 22 year old nephew to introduce him to the grand sport of elk hunting.

Hopefully my luck during the last 5 years will continue.

Posts: 27 | Location: State of Jefferson, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting the 2nd combined season using either my B-78 .45-70 with paper patch bullets, or my .358 BLR.--JDL

Posts: 61 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be doing a backpack hunt during the 1st limited rifle elk for a bull and I picked up a late season cow tag too. Good luck everyone

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I will be hunting elk with my bow, self guided, in the Weminuche Wilderness from September 2nd through Septembr 12th. Gotta love the high country in September!

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Iron Buck,
you'll have a blast in the weimenuche! Beautiful country and lots of elk. Good luck.

A few years ago I was hunting up in the flat tops and there was a camp by us that was some college kids from PA.. Man those kids could hike! They smoked most of locals up the hills, plus they were real good guys. sorry for that sidenote there..

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I love the high country in the Weminuche! This is my 3rd time back to the same area. I hire an outfitter to pack us (a buddy & me) & our gear in 11 miles, then he drops us off and we are on our own. I have a deal with the outfitter to pick up our boned meat from the elk we get. The scenery is outstanding & we run into lots of good bulls. We also see big horns, mulies , bear and lots of other wildlife. It is a great time. I took an awesome 5x6 2 years ago. I hope to top it this year!

When I was in college I was lucky to be able to afford to hunt PA let alone out of state LOL. But I did get out to Wyoming & backpacked Yellow Stone while in High School. Back in those days I could really cruise those slopes. I still do well but I have to work out from Apripl through August until I leave to be able to do so. At least it keeps me in shape LOL

Good luck to you & every one else this year. The season is coming fast!

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
For our family the run down is thus:

1 Doe tag- Unit 007- 4th Rifle
3 Buck tags- Unit 007- 4th Rifle
1 Buck tag- Unit 080- 2nd Rifle

2 Cow tags- Unit 080- Late Rifle
3 Cow tags- Unit 080- 2nd Rifle

no pronghorn antelope tags yet!

I know- you asked about ELK...Unguided, unless you call me a "guide", public land/ private mixed. And, a combination of 3 teenage girls, my wife, and myself. Always a good time!Good luck!

Posts: 593 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote