Find
Notify
Tools

6,5-06 any good?
 Login/Join

<Husky>
posted
Gentlemen,
I am considering rebarell a Husqvarna 30-06 in the caliber 6,5-06. I whant ome more velocity than what the 6,5x55 offers and i like the idea to use inexpensive 30-06 brass instead of 6,5-284 Norma. What is your experiences of the 6,5-06? Can i form 30-06 cases direct into 6,5-06 dies?

/Husky

one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy Husky,

I shoot a 6.5-06AI. Getting 264 win mag performance with it.

As to forming the brass, I take regular 06 grass and run them thru a .270 fl die first, then use a 6.5 neck sizer when I need to replace brass. I found going from .308 t .264 was a bit much sometimes and collapsed the necks of some.

I have to fire form for the AI, but I have found that if I load a medium load, seat the bullet out a bit further to make sure it is in contact with the lands so the head of the the cartridge is held against the bolt face, I get little to no case stretch.

Hope this helps.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Husky,

I have a 6.5-'06, but I made my cases from .25-'06 cases -- very easy to neck them up.

You can make your cases from .30-'06 cases.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can also reform 270 Win. You will have to trim them to lenght, as they will be long.

Big 17

Posts: 82 | Location: Gardnerville, Nevada | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems to be a good and popular wildcat - so good indeed that it inspired two later factory cartridges, the 6,5 x 64 Brenneke and the 6,5 x 65 RWS.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
According to a recent article in Precision Shooting, you can actually get higher velocities and better accuracy with the 6.5-06 than with the 6.5-284 with the additional benefit of no rework to existing 30-06 based rifles to get good feeding and magazine capacity.

<Mike M>
posted
It's a really nice cartridge. I'm sure you will be pleased with it. Give some thought to what weight bullets you will be shooting.
The heavier / longer bullets take a pretty fast twist to stabilize.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
I've been thinking about a rifle smaller than 30-06. The 6.5-06 looks like a better choice than the 25-06 or the .270 (to me). It offers a good variety of bullets from 77-160 grains in target, varmint, and big game designs.

MM

<Patrick>
posted
Take a look at Z-Hat web site and the .264 Hawk. It's right on the heels of the .264 Win from an improved '06 case. I love it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth guys-I love cattin (wild catting that is) as much or more than most. I believe after playing with one or two or three of them that the 6.5/06 is a fun and unique round. Is it any better than a 270, in my mind no way. Is it fun and unique and something most don't have-you bet. Will it do anything a 270/280/06 won't do-I think not. At least not in my experience.
Will I have another most likely.

Just my thoughts.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Husky>
posted
Mike M,
I am planning to use bullets up to 156 grains (Norma 156gr Oryx bullet). Why i am considering the 6,5-06 is that i whant a in Sweden legal 6,5 cartridge for moose, boar etc. But i will mostly use it for smaller animals. I think it would be a fine third rifle in my battery -the other two is a 9,3x62 and a .404 Jeffery

Husky

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is an excellent deer cartridge.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Husky,

I use my 6.5-06 with 95 grain vmax or 100 grain Nosler ballistic tips for bobcat and coyote, for feral hogs and whitetailed deer I use 129 grain Hornadys, Nosler 125 grain partitions and even some 140 grain bullets.

This particular rifle took 7 deer this past season, from a range of 50 to about 225 yards, all one shot kills. I highly recommend it, although I think I would load at least a 160 grain bullet for Moose.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Husky>
posted
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the information.
I will send my rifle to Mr Albrektsson gunsmith at Norma and let him rebarrell my rifle. You have convinced me that the 6,5-06 is the cartridege to go for!

Norma uses Schulz and Larsen (from Denmark)match grade barrells -they are excellent!

/Husky

<1GEEJAY>
posted
I hope you are all right on this one.I am having an 6.5x06 Imp built as we speak.I fire form my brass,by bumping the should forward,just enough,to maintain resistance.Whenever it arrives,I will keep y'all posted
1GEEJAY
http://www.shooting-hunting.com

<shall>
posted
I've been using a 30-06 and 25-06 with great result on Whitetail. Can't imagine why one right in the middle would not do a fine job!

<K9>
posted

Sure hope it�s a good one as I bought a Husqvarna 1600 so chambered about a month ago(made by Stig Sundberg)! With ammo made for another gun it shoot pretty good � 13 and 11 mm with Nosler 120gr and Sierra 160 gr. I�m waiting for the license to arrive��.

Good luck!!
K9

<OTTO>
posted
When I resized 30-06 down to 6.5 I found that neck turning was usually needed. The 25-06 case didn't need turning at all. My 6.5-06 is a bit faster than my 6.5-284 Norma but the Norma produces better accuracy for me. I believe that is a product of the rifles not the cartridge.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!