New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a tripod for spotting scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a new spotting scope(my first) and need to get a good tripod that is compact and light. I went to my local camera shop but all they had were camera tripods that tend to be heavy and not all that compact. I know Leupold makes a small field tripod but know one I know has any first hand experience with it. Nor do any of the local shops have one that I can check out. What do those of you who tote your spotters into the field use? Is the Leupold tripod a worthwhile equipment investment?

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Greg Y>
posted
David. Leupold makes a tripod that the legs are progressively smaller in diameter, unscrew from the panhead, and all screw into one leg. It is compact, lightweight, and fits easily into a daypack/backpack. The legs are fixed length, so you must find a relatively level spot to use it. That is the drawback of this tripod vs. tripods with adjustable-length legs. And when you are on a steep slope wanting to glass a good bull, buck, ram or whatever trophy, sometimes that level spot is hard to find. The next best thing is your backpack frame. Mine has worked great, most of the time.Good luck and Good hunting..GREG

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Try slik tripods.Inexpensive,adj leg hgt,and
light.Most of the Camera web sites carry them.Type slik tripod in your search engine.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
David,

A good tip is to carry a small net bag which can be hung under the centre column of the tripod when in use. When you get to a spot where extended glassing is in order, just put a few rocks or sods in the bad for weight and hang it underneath..the extra weight greatly improves the stability..

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Manfrotto tripod but that's mainly for stationary spotting so stability and not weight is my first priority.

I would recommend trying a one-legged "tripod" if you will be using the scope mainly for mobile hunting. I've tried one of these in the field and it's surprisingly easy to hold stable enough for detailed obsevations.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
I got one at walmart of all places. but for less than $20, how can you go wrong.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's guys.

Pete E.,

The idea to hang a small net bag with some stones in it from the tripod is a good one. I'll have to remember that this comming hunting season.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote