THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    ...a bond between hunters, even across the ages...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

...a bond between hunters, even across the ages...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
I was turkey hunting this morning and as I walked across one of my fields I looked down in the soil and saw a bit of flint that caught my eye... I picked it up and found a perfect arrow tip made by another hunter that had walked the same path hundreds--if not a thousand years ago. I couldn't help but wonder what he would think of our world today, or if he thought the arrowhead that he let fly at some variety of wild game would ever end up in someone's hand again, much less a hand so many years later. I held the arrowhead up and actually felt that I could see it attached to a carefully chosen stick that became an arrow shaft....I imaged what he had looked like, but somehow knew that even though he hunted in order to survive while I hunted for pleasure, as hunters both, with him I felt a bond that has endured across the ages...
We have a great hunting heritage. This morning just helped me appreciate where much of it came from.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting, what a great find!

Although finding brass cartidge cases isn't quite as nostalgic, last year I was picking up my ejected .270 brass after shooting at an antelope and found some very old .270 brass lying right next to my new cases. Someone had used the same hill and most likely shot in the same direction many years ago.

Thanks again.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Spring, nice point!

About twenty years ago I was hiking down a dried up creek bed on a wooded hillside. I jumped off a boulder into the gravel below. As I landed I noticed something between my feet... it was a perfect speer point! I still have it and treasure it.

Last year a friend was hunting in eastern MT for mulies... he missed a big one standing in his bed (his scope was later determined to have fritzed-out). He walked over to where he'd shot at the buck. While looking around for any blood he found an arrowhead laying right next to the bed... apparently not the first buck to bed in that spot nor the first hunter to miss!

Al, three springs ago while hunting the Bridger's for bear I found a beautiful fossilized leaf... laying about one foot away from it was an old 30-06 case with the headstamp "RA H 18" which is "Remington Arms, Hoboken (Arsenal in NJ), 1918"... cool!

one of us
posted Hide Post
a very touching story. i almost called my mom!

just kidding! seriously, i gotta agree with everyone who has posted that it is really something to "touch the past." i've been out hunting and have seen dropped shells, some of them have been only a season or two old, but a few have also been VERY old, and the mind is forced to wonder what the story might be behind them. i've also dropped a shell or two in my time, in the heat of the moment, or have been unable to find one now and then. perhaps years from now another hunter will stumble on it with his kid or something and they can sit there and wonder what the story was.

a true connection with the past, no matter what form it comes in, is very special.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
LOL, you're right, tasunkawitko! I'm not one to try to be melodramatic, but I guess that post would have you thinking otherwise! And don't forget to call you mom...

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote