New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet weight for Bou and Bear?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok I just bought a Weatherby in the 7mm Rem Mag.
I want to use fot Caribou and Black bear. The last bear that I shot weighed #453, but I used a 338 Win mag.
what bullet weight would you guys recomend for both critters on the same trip? one bullet for both.

Thanks [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 49 | Location: Lisbon, Oh. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DLH
I would think a premium bullet of at least 160grains would be fine in your 7MM. That would give you good trajectory if you have to make a long shot, but the bullet would not fail at close range.
I have seen several Caribou and Black Bear shot and the 7MM should work fine.
I shot my 2 Caribou and one Black Bear with a 450/400 3 1/4" double rifle with 400gr. Woodleigh Softs. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
160gr Partition is plenty...If you want a lttle more try a X bullet or Failsafe, maybe 150grns or so..

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
I'm with Gatehouse,

160gr. partitions are fine. It has been my experience that neither Caribou or Black bear are very tough to put down.

Good Luck,

BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any premium bullet from 140 gr and up will do fine.Go with partitions,failsafes,barnes x or a-frame and you will have no problems.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 160 gr. class @ 3000 fps +/-. You want a tough bullet for bear, but something that will open up on a caribou at longer distances. Nosler Partition is top of the heap, followed by the Bear Claw, A-Frame, or a 140 gr. Barnes X or Fail Safe.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like your 338 better for black bears!

Like the others said, try the 160 Nosler in your pea shooter.

If you must. [Razz] [Big Grin] [Razz]

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DLH, 175 grain A-Frames.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that having a bear in mind I would use 175 gr Partition. It will work on caribou too.

Posts: 45 | Location: Poland | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the X and failsafe

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
162 grain hornady SPBT

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.
Why does HORNADY use such odd weights for the 7mm?
Nobody else does. [Razz] [Razz] [Confused]

Posts: 49 | Location: Lisbon, Oh. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote