Find
Notify
Tools

pictures, 7 point SC buck
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Well, my brother did it again. The rut is in full swing. He shot this buck yesterday at 9am. Here's what he had to say:

quote:
Like I said the other day, the rut is on hardcore. This morning, I was tucked away in a blind on the edge of a half cut corn field with the temperature in the low 30's and light variable winds. I watched 3 does feed around in the standing corn for about 20 minutes (07:40-08:00) until they finally eased on into the mature pines to my right. If I hadn't already taken a doe, one of these babies would be on the ground. Just a few minutes after 09:00, after a series of bleats and grunts I heard some grunting to my left around the edge of the corn field that I couldn't see. Seconds later, a doe followed by this buck came trotting in front of me at about 40 yards. I had to yell "HEY!!" to get them to stop. Once they stopped, I popped this buck with my trusty custom .270 with a 110 gr triple shock bullet. Man, God is good. See you in the woods.

Honestly, when I began deer hunting my brother and I always thought we should use "big for caliber" bullets. I never even dreamed of loading a 130 grain bullet in one of our 270's for years. It was a 150 or go to a larger rifle. I'm really starting to rethink this whole bullet thing. I have been for a few years but I wasn't sure how the 110 would perform on deer. So far my brother has taken 6 animals now with it and dumped them all. As usual he put the bullet in the high shoulder, you can see on one of the photos. He said he tried to "maaa" about 3 times to stop them but it wasn't working. Finally, one scream "HEY!" He said he already had the scope on the buck and as soon as it stopped he leveled it on the shoulder, BOOM. (Good boy).

I suppose I'll head to KY sometime this week during the rifle season and see what happens with my setup.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous buck for SC! Congrats...got a nice 8 pointer as well this past week with a pre-64 model 70, also in 270. My 270 was made in 1949 and is in great shape. I was using a plain ol 130 grain ballsitic tip, but will try something more substantial the next time. Plenty accurate, but, like some ballistic tips, it shed its core. Thinking of trying TSX's, but I have a tremendous bias against Barnes (cost me a huge 8 pt many years ago...ice picked on the buck...no expansion). Perhaps a 130 grain Scirocco? I don't know. Again, congrats to the brother...he got a nice one!

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Hank, the old Barnes X bullet is NOT the same as their new TSX. These slugs are different in performance. I never tried the Old X in any caliber other than 22.

The TSX is one of, if not, my favorite game bullet.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Nice SC 7 Smiler

Got mine in the lowcountry of SC this past weekend. Maybe I should try the new TSXs. If they are truly different than the old ones, I am glad to hear it. I did the same thing Hank described years ago twice with the old barnes. One of those deer I recovered. One I did not. That experience really spoiled my taste for them. Icepicking is a great description.

Anyhow Doc, this is my SC deer
SC Lowcountry Whitetail

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful buck, although I still can't figure out how you easterner's learn to count. Nicely done.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Doc

DTH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, Congratulations to your brother. Nice Buck and a good story too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MontMike:
Beautiful buck, although I still can't figure out how you easterner's learn to count. Nicely done.

yea yea yea...you westerners always take away. We actually give credit where credit is due. If it's a point, we count it! thumb Do you call a car a "two wheeler" even though it has 4 wheels? And we call a spike buck a spike buck...or I simply call it a "dink, or scrub."

My friend in CO always lets me know about the "4pt mulies." However, anything larger and the lingo changes. Now it's a "5x5" or a "six on one side, 5 on the other." But the classic 4x4 mulie is simply referred to as a 4pt...same with the 3pt. bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Well, my brother did it again. The rut is in full swing. He shot this buck yesterday at 9am. Here's what he had to say:

quote:
Like I said the other day, the rut is on hardcore. This morning, I was tucked away in a blind on the edge of a half cut corn field with the temperature in the low 30's and light variable winds. I watched 3 does feed around in the standing corn for about 20 minutes (07:40-08:00) until they finally eased on into the mature pines to my right. If I hadn't already taken a doe, one of these babies would be on the ground. Just a few minutes after 09:00, after a series of bleats and grunts I heard some grunting to my left around the edge of the corn field that I couldn't see. Seconds later, a doe followed by this buck came trotting in front of me at about 40 yards. I had to yell "HEY!!" to get them to stop. Once they stopped, I popped this buck with my trusty custom .270 with a 110 gr triple shock bullet. Man, God is good. See you in the woods.

Honestly, when I began deer hunting my brother and I always thought we should use "big for caliber" bullets. I never even dreamed of loading a 130 grain bullet in one of our 270's for years. It was a 150 or go to a larger rifle. I'm really starting to rethink this whole bullet thing. I have been for a few years but I wasn't sure how the 110 would perform on deer. So far my brother has taken 6 animals now with it and dumped them all. As usual he put the bullet in the high shoulder, you can see on one of the photos. He said he tried to "maaa" about 3 times to stop them but it wasn't working. Finally, one scream "HEY!" He said he already had the scope on the buck and as soon as it stopped he leveled it on the shoulder, BOOM. (Good boy).

I suppose I'll head to KY sometime this week during the rifle season and see what happens with my setup.

Doc,
Might I inquire as to the area of the great state of SOUTH CAROLINA your brother lives? I will be relocating to Pickens, SC the 1st of May and I don't know a damn soul except my NON HUNTING FRIEND. I hear that the shooting there is outstanding and the bag limit is generous. I already know the people are friendly as my family originated there in the 1750's, both sides.
THanks in advance for any info you might be able to provide.

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Winggunner,

Check out this link, it is to the SC DNR: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/index.html

I lived and hunted in SC (HHI, Columbia, Charleston)for over 15 years before moving to NC. The lower part of the state (east and south of Columbia) has the longest and most liberal season in the country (IMHO). Laurens/Pickens area has a bear season each year.

The DNR will have all the information you need, except where to find a good hunting club.

Good luck with your move.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Actually, I do not know the county but my bro lived in Lexington and it was about a 1 hour drive to hunt.

BTW, he lives here in Ohio now in my neighborhood. He and a neurosurgeon from the group at their hospital in SC both moved up here in January.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm from South Carolina (Charleston) and have been hunting there my whole life. I don't know too much about where you are moving, but check out the SC DNR forums:

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

There will be plenty of people there to help you.

SC is a great state (especially for hunting). Welcome!

Posts: 34 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote