THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Colorado Elk Unit 61 Tag 1st season rifle

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Elk Unit 61 Tag 1st season rifle
 Login/Join

posted
With 14 bonus points (non-res) I drew Unit 61 1st rifle season bull. I tried back around eight years ago and was unsuccesful, but drew a deer tag back in late 1990's. I camped on the divide road and saw a lot of forkies, nothing bigger and went home empty. Saw two cow elk in 5 days, no bulls.Haven't decided on going it alone again- any comments, references on outfitters? Thanks In advance Joe.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Joe
Feel free to PM me I killed a nice Bull in 61 five years ago and may be able to make a few suggestions.
Congratulations on your tag!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Joe,

As far as an outfitter, try Garvey Bros. Outfitters. I have a deposit in with him for next year (we didn't get drawn this year - had 12 pts.).
There aren't many outfitters that guide in this area. I did a lot of checking and Garvey always seemed to be the one that came out best. I called a lot of his references and all had nothing but the best to say about them.
Sounds like the average bull taken was 300 pts.
I talked to one guy who has hunted with Garvey for i think 12-13 years, and he said every year that he has went after elk with them, he always got one.
One thing they have that no other outfitter has, is a chunk of private land that gives them access to an area no one else can get to.
Also sounds like he has good mule deer and lion hunts as well.

http://www.garveybrothersoutfitters.com/

If you click on "News from Camp" tab and then go to the bottom of the page, you'll see a link to see all of the pics. from the last few years hunts.

Good Luck,
Brett

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Northman, I found them on the web.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Garvey Brothers are a little steep in price but they do have a pretty good reputation.