New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safety first!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last night a guy arrived at my house after having travelled one of the backroads to get here. Actually, some would say any road that leads to my house is a backroad but that has little to do with the story.
At one point my friend had to stop for a cow elk that was crossing the road. He looked up on the ridge where she had come from and there stood a 6 point bull! Bob (not his real nme) jumped out of his pickup and reached behind the seat for his trusty 7MM Mag. After considerable thrashing around he extricated the rifle and, keeping an eye on the bull, he fumbled a single shell into the chamber and closed the bolt.
Now you might wonder why a prime bull elk would stand there, presenting himself for the shot through this production? Well, it's simple really. The elk was well aware that Bob, being a safety conscious hunter, still had the trigger lock on his rifle!
The elk didn't stay around through the hunt for the key! Regards, Bill

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's great.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt the bull also realised that the rifle must not have been CRF [Big Grin]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez. I thought this was going to be one of those stories about the DNR folks putting up stuffed animals to see if someone would shoot at them after hours, across a road, etc. I always wondered what would happen if someone would see one of those things, put a knife in their teeth and belly crawl out to it. Probably make a good video.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
...my friend ...Bob, being a safety conscious hunter, still had the trigger lock on his rifle!

[Big Grin] Sounds like the Trigger Lock - did what it is designed to do!

Hey Bill, Do you know if Bob will be sending the Trigger Lock manufacturer a Thank You note?

Great story!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I consider shooting from the road poaching, (it IS poaching in Ontario) so I guess it's a poacher lock.
By the way, is this a Canadian story?

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JYC,
Yes it is Canadian. Also, the "road" in the story isnot a public road and would perhaps not even be recognized as a road in some jurisdictions. Or by some people for that matter. Shooting from logging roads is entirely legal in BC, Alberta, and Idaho. These have been my only places of residence where I have hunted so I can't comment on others. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3783 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
John Y Cannuck, around Bill's place you can shoot from any of the dirt roads. The one public road in the area only has a 15m allowance (from the centerline) that is a No Shooting zone. You are not allowed to shoot from a vehicle (from inside or using it as a rest) in either case.

Bill, good story! Did your 6-point ever show up?

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Preston>
posted
Canuck, are you sure about "using it as a rest".

My understanding, and I may be wrong, is that from an unregulated road, ie logging road, you could use your vehicle as a rest. Such as resting across the hood.

Of course if your on a public road with an allowance, then yes definately, not inside, as a rest, or anwhere inside the allowance.

Preston

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hi Preston,

It has always been my understanding that you cannot use a vehicle as a rest. I witnessed a guy get ticketed for using the mirror of his truck as a rest when he shot a grouse with a .22 (it was on an old logging road).

On p.6 of the current regs, it says that "It is Unlawful"..."(18) to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or boat propelled by a motor" and "(19) to discharge, carry or have in possession a firearm containing live ammunition in its breech or in its magazine attached to the firearm, in or on a railway car, vehicle, sleigh, aircraft or bicycle." (emphasis added)

As I read it, the only things you can legally shoot wildlife or discharge a firearm from, in or on is a horse, a tree, a rock or parts of your own anatomy. [Wink]

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Canuck must have posted rigth before me...I 've read those regs, but never interpreted them like that. Leaning on his truck, he got a ticket? I've never thought about it like that but I haven't leaned on my truck to shoot before anyway...

People need to understand what these roads are like before they pass judgment. We all like to get away from the roads and into the mountains, but when you've only got an hour after work to go hunt, you drive up the nearest road and maybe glass clearcuts or just bump into something, like Bill's friend.

[ 10-02-2002, 02:45: Message edited by: Gatehouse ]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hi Gatehouse,

The way I have had it explained to me, the law is written to discourage shooting from any "conveyance" other than the ones I listed (horse or your own feet) or a non-powered boat. Having to "stand clear" of your vehicle, and find another type of rest if necessary, apparently gives the animal a brief opportunity to escape and negates some of the mechanical advantage the hunter used to find it.

I don't think this law is very well followed as most people don't seem to be aware of it.

Have to agree with you on your point about hunting from roads. I generally try not to shoot anything from my truck (other than grouse, coyotes, black bears etc), but only because it don't really "meat hunt" anymore (still just feeding myself and my dog) and "truck hunts" don't make for much of a memory. I sure don't begrudge anyone that does though. I do find it funny that some people are OK with hunting/shooting from a quad or boat, but are critical of those that road hunt.

Canuck

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
We basically have to be "outside the fences" on a maintained road.
Trigger locks can be fun. We came across two Toronto hunters beating on one with a rock when we were moose hunting. (3hrs from city). Nice shiny 4X4, nice clean coats, Orange from head to toe. Nice new looking Remington rifle with rock dents around the trigger guard. [Big Grin]

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
I'm beginning to think I imagined that six point along with most of the east Kootenay elk population. It also appears that all the whitetails have been artificially inseminated in recent years given the results of my searches! Regards, Bill.

<Preston>
posted
Canuck, looks like you're right.
I have read that before, but haven't put much thought into it.
Guess I better not say anything about them grouse, rabbits, or bears I've seen [Wink]