New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handicap Elk hunt/ with Pics!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Heading to the Gila to film a handicap elk hunt! Ought to be a lot of fun, whacken em from the truck! ............wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do they want to shoot a handicapped elk??? Smiler Wink Roll Eyes

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because they are easier to shoot!

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are the pics from last weekend. We got snowed out on saturday, but it cleared early sunday morning and the elk were out in force. We got into about 200 head on either side of the road and I don't think that they were expecting us. The hunter made a great shot at 200yds!

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Looks like a pretty big cow.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, she was quite old. Her bottom teeth were
worn down to the gums and the ivorys were only about 1/4 inch in diameter. She was on her way down.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I killed a whitetail doe just like that and worried she was going to be tough as nails. She wasn't, I let her hang for a few days to get the rigor out. The meat was just as beautiful as if it had been a yearling!

Congrats to your hunter, he has many good steaks and memories ahead of him.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ann, we are trying to plan some more hunts for him. We are trying to put together a handicapped hunting video and he is really excited to be a part of it!
..............wapiti7

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, the cow was taken with a muzzleloader!

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
200 yards with a muzzleloader is great! Beautiful cow

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsheil to the successful and skillful hunter! Way to go!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, were working on some more handicap hunts. I really enjoy doing them because the hunters are so grateful and excited! Next fall we have a few kids coming out to hunt as well.
.............wapiti7

posted Hide Post
Wapiti7,

Thanks for following up with this post. My Dad broke his neck 3 months shy of turning 40. He never picked up a gun to hunt or shoot until this year, 28 years later. He participated in a pheasant shoot from his chair, as he has use of upper body. He has started shooting trap again, too! I am very proud.

I, like alot of you, can't begin to imagine what it would be like to never walk, hike, hunt, or ride my horse again but it is folks like you and other organizations who make these types of things possible. Thanks again.

So, when you can't find a parking spot this Holiday Season, choose the one furthest away and enjoy the walk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Champ,
We are glad to do it and I hope the future will allow us more opportunities to accomidate the handicapped and youth.
..........wapiti7

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, this is a pretty cool thing you are doing! I know there are handicapped folks out there who will never have a chance to go afield due to terrain and whatever limitations are imposed on them, way to break down the walls. Hunting is for everyone to enjoy, regardless of skin color, religion, language, OR handicap. My hat is off to you for making hunting a reality for folks who may not get a chance to hunt otherwise. beer

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wapiti7:
Thanks guys, were working on some more handicap hunts. I really enjoy doing them because the hunters are so grateful and excited! Next fall we have a few kids coming out to hunt as well.
.............wapiti7

Hey wapiti, your a great guy. Due a getting a broken neck a few years ago I am now a c6 quad and have just got into hunting again the last couple seasons. I would be interested in finding out about different hunts. Where would be a good place for me to go on a affordable antelope hunt? Like most in wheelchairs, money is in short supply.
Thanks

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
wapiti7,

Most excellant sir!! beer

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40-65,
I am heading out this moring on an oryx hunt, but I will be back on monday. If you would like, we can visit next week about taking you on a hunt here in NM.
Thanks.....wapiti7

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, that would be awesome to talk about some hunts. I would also love to hear about your oryx hunt. I have some friends in Fort Sumner that were out for Christmas and they talked about oryx hunting there. One of them workes at a butcher shop there and he helped butcher some of them this year.
Thanks Eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is great.Congrats to the Hunter.Thanks to everyone who makes these kind of hunts available!!! thumb

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the story and to everyone who teamed together to make it all possible. We need more heartwarming stories like this...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Handicapped Elk Hunt is a class act! Congratulations to all who made it possible. Good Show!!!!
thumb thumb thumb thumb

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well yesterday was a success. Right off the bat we were glassing some oryx across a canyon and a young bull appeared below us. The shooter was my buddys girlfriend allison. She took a rest and asked me how far he was. I told her 291yds and it sounded like a truck hitting a watermelon! Well thats better than most of my friends shoot! So one shot did it and we loaded him up on a four wheeler and back to the truck. He was 29 and 31 inches, not bad for an hour depredation hunt! Anyway, 40-65, I am sending you a pm...............wapiti7
Sorry, no pics on the missle range

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be awesome, wapiti

One of Us
posted Hide Post
40-65,
did you get my pm?

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
That's really great! 200 yards with a muzzleloader?! Wow! thumb

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wapiti7:
The hunter made a great shot at 200yds!

What load was he shooting in the Muzzleloader?

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
swede,
He was shooting my ultimate firearms muzzleloader with 200 gr of pyrodex pellets and our 290 FB-Xtreme bullet.
.......wapiti7

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No I didn't. Waybe my profile isn't set up right or I don't know how to find it. You could email me I would for sure get it. My email is in my profile. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
40-65,
Thanks for the phone call. If I can help you at all, please let me know. If there are any other mobility impaired hunters that would like to apply for a new mexico hunt, please let me know and I will be glad to help............wapiti7

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wapiti,
I enjoyed talking to you and thanks for the info. I havn't decided what my year will hold but I would love to hunt with you.

You said you can hunt javalina in Febuary and I am wondering if it would be possible to do it this year if it worked out.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will have to apply to hunt next Feb. I appreciate the phone call, just let me know what you would like to do......