Find
Notify
Tools

"Old farts" question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
My father decided he'd be partial to taking up Sambar deer (elk-sized) hunting with me like I'd suggested awhile back. That's fantastic as I've been secretely having a 358Win put together for him thumb My question is, given his eyes are a little tired, do you older hunters feel that you do better with more magnification in a scope as you age? Does a heavier reticle assist you? He isn't a "hardened rifleman" so whatever makes placing that bullet properly is a big plus. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the beter scopes have adjustable objectives (it is adjusted to your shooting eye much like prescription eyeglasses) stay away from ranging recticles and I would suggest 3x9 magnification or therabouts.

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Aowm is right about adjustable objectives. Also, keep the reticule simple like the plex instead of a lot of the new ones with extra lines, etc. Consider also eye relief. Many scopes don't have as much eye relief as they say they do. The exception is Leupold which always has plenty.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
I guess I qualify to answer an 'Old farts' question as my eyes are no longer capable of focusing on open sights, although I can still manage to use a ghost ring sight if the foresight blade is fairly thick. A scope has become a necessity and any of the very fine reticle scopes are out of the question for me - the Leupold Wide Duplex is just about perfect.

As for magnification - I haven't found that this makes much difference other than the normal requirements for the type of hunting or shooting being done. The highest magnification in any of my hunting scopes is a Leupold 4-12 on my .270, the rest are within the 1.5 up to 9 power and these magnifications are ample for my purposes.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eye relief is more important than magnification as the scope adjustment to overcome reading glasses takes up some of the eye relief distance. I would suggest a top of the line Leupold for that reason (VX3 or 4x). I personally don't like the heavier crosshairs. If your dad is starting to lose visual acuity or doesn't like to drive at night, consider a 40mm objective or 30 mm tube to gather more light.
Paul

Posts: 77 | Location: Pulaski, WI | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, Dad's eyes are getting older...unfortunately, no major problems hoever just older (60) age. One of the reasons I posted was that I found when I started using my 2.5x Leupolds I initially lost confidence, and it wasn't until shooting on the range and getting fantastic accuracy, that I realised that the lack of magnification isn't a handicap. That's why I'm leaning towards either a straight 4x or 2-7x? Dad's pretty practical though, give him a rifle with the variable set at 6x and it'll come back at 6x, set it at 2x is comes back at 2x, I figure the variable he can set at what he likes and then it stays there.
Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm getting to be an old fart, and I much prefer the variables or 2x7 or thereabouts. I usually leave mine at 2x and only turn it up if I have a longer shot with a nice steady rest.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
con
i have done the big merry go round with scopes and am back to were i started many years ago ...4x
daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
Most of us whose eyes aren't what they used to be have the same issues.

We usually can get by with lots of light or larger print.

We struggle with menus having smaller print in dimly lit restaurants .

When the light gets dim, it is not the animal that I can't see in the scope, it is the reticle.

A heavy duplex is so much more comfortable to look at.

Some folks do not like them because they do not feel they can produce groups as accuarately as finer reticles. With a properly designed target this is not a problem.

A typical Leupold heavy duplex will subtend about an inch (give or take depending on the power)at 100 yards.

At 300 yards, the reticle will cover up about 3 inches of the 6 to 8 inch kill zone.

It is easier in fact than trying to discern the fine black reticle on a dark animal in the dim light.

I do not however, require or make use of high magnification.

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daniel,
I know exactly what you mean, but other than Leupold's FXII 4x33, who makes a quality 4x32? I've only been able to track a Lynx P4x32CD down, otherwise lots of scopes are now 4x40 and cheap. Thoughts on a quality 4x32? I dont want bells and whistles, just an honest scope. Maybe a VX1/Rifleman with heavy duplex might be the go...???
Cheers...
Con

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD:
Well, I'm getting to be an old fart, and I much prefer the variables or 2x7 or thereabouts. I usually leave mine at 2x and only turn it up if I have a longer shot with a nice steady rest.

SmilerBTDT. Now the only scope I have is on a compressed air pellet gun. The rest all wear some variation of ghost ring sight, that may change, but I doubt I will see the need for more than 4X, preferably 1X or 2X. Smiler

Sacred cows make the best burgers.

Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Field of view is probably the most crucial for old eyes. A 50 or 56mm objective bell will produce the largest field of view. This will definately speed target acquisition. However these scopes are heavy and if he has trouble carrying a weapon this becomes a different liability. As a rule lower magnification settings gather more light. Also european styles variables have recticles which grow with the magnification which may be an advantage to this shooter. That way he can discover which magnification setting is most comfortable for him to shoot at. Most quality optics allow the setting of the eye relief and focal distance by manipulating the rear bell. Finding the sweet spot for his eye relief will help greatly.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
The objective has little or no effect on field of view, magnification is what limits field of view.

The eye relief is generally fixed, however, on some scopes it varies slightly from low to high power.

Why would us old folks need more field of view?

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
You are right my error, instead of "largest field of view". I should have said, "Clearest and brightest field of view". These factors tend to help all shooters and one with weaker eyes should benefit.

I referred to them as "old eyes" in my post simply keeping in the theme of the post. Not trying to single anyone out. I have had my own vision problems (now corrected) and the larger objectives helped me.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
con
i see the zeiss 4x32 from time to time...i have two of these in my safe...one day i will let you have a look at them and get a taste for one and then lock them up again !!!!,the khales 4x ???,and the little sworowski 4x32...all top line scopes,however for value for money the new leupold 4x33 in real good
i think orilleys have a khales 4x32 real nice
regards daniel
regards daniel

One of Us
Picture of Hornhunter
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I'm qualified to enter an "old farts" discussion, being a lot closer to 70 than I care to think about, but I've moved in the opposite direction than the consensus here.

I used to hunt with 2x7's and a couple of 3x9's. Most of my scopes now are 3x12 or 4x16, the lowest magnification is 3.5x10. I think the Leupold Vari-X III is a great scope, I have a couple on short action rifles. Because of eye relief, I prefer the Burris Signature scope on a long action rifle. I haven't tried any of the Leupold VX series scopes.

Maybe it's the type of hunting I do, primarily stand hunting in the Texas hill country, lots of deer, pick the buck you want. I usually set the scope on 4-5 power, but I want to be able to crank it all the way up for a good look at the horns. I don't shoot much, maybe one good buck a year, but I do enjoy looking at all of them.

I do know that it's damn hard to get more than a general impression of a rack at 4 power and 300 yards. Give me 12 power, I want to see all his points before I decide.

Posts: 46 | Location: Lake Jackson, Texas | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daniel,
I refuse to look through your Zeiss, it'll end up costing me money. The FXII 4x33 is now selling at $440, compared to $380 for the M8 at O'Reillys. Meopta 2000 4x32 is even more and heavier, the Lynx P4x32CD apparently will barely fit a short action without reversed mounts. Decided I'll get a VX1 in 2-7x from Cleavers, unless... they have an older M8 in 4x33 at a good price.
Cheers...
Con

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Being a very near sighted "old guy", with more "floaters" nut than anyone should have and have had retinal laser surgury, optic quality makes all the difference in the world.

I just purchased a Leupold LPS 2.5 x 10 and see the target much better than with my 1.75 X 6 VX III or my VX II 3 X 9. I don't think it is the power as much as the optics. I need all the help I can get.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
con
i may be able to get you one directley from the importer if your intrested
daniel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am 63 so I know what you are talking about. I have switched several of my rifles to Leupold VX- III scopes in 1.5x5 or 1.75x6. I use heavy duplex but recently got one in German #4 which I prefer. For a 358 these scopes are a good match and very easy for a non scope person to use. Excellent eye relief with the 1.5x5 scope so risk of scope cuts is reduced. beer

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daniel,
Thanks for the offer. Ended up buying a VXI in 2-7x and a second-hand M8 4x. I'll let Dad take his pick as to which he prefers.
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Con:

As you have already bought a couple of used Leupold's, you can still consider a reticle change.

While several guys mentioned going with a heavier duplex, I have to second LJS's suggestion of a German Number 4 reticle. I have a couple of 3 x 9 Leupolds that I have put heavy duplexes in. I use a 2 x 7 Leupold shotgun scope on my 338/06. If I didn't spend so much on guns, in a zillion calibers, I'd probably have quite a few more of the shotgun 2 x7s. Of course I also like the Leupold Dot reticle on some of my scopes, depending on application in the field.

I have to give credit to the most versatile, of small target to large target, long range to short range: to the one 3 x 9 Leupold that I had a Heavy German # 1 installed in. It has the heavy posts on the lower, and right and left reticle sides and the top portion is totally open for field of view. The " steeple" aiming point of the center post as I call it, is as handy as a Target dot and much easier to see.

I have this scope mounted on a Winchester Featherweight in a 7 x 57 from the factory ( Winchester).

The older I get ( I am 52 now), the more of my Leupold Scopes will get converted to this reticle.

Go on line and also check out Leupold's new custom shop. They seem to have some pretty nifty custom items available for your Leupold scope now. If you see something that you need and need to call them to get some answers and it is not happening via email, send me an email with your question and I will be glad to call them for you and email you back the results. That would be cheaper than a call from OZ I bet.

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote