New
Find
Notify
Tools

CO Late Season Cow Hunts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am wanting to put in for a late season cow hunt this year in Colorado. I've got a few places in mind like area 3, 4 or 80 but was wanting to get a little more input on some areas closer to the Denver area. I figure I'd be going more than one weekend and would like to find a place that's easier to get to if the weather turns bad. I'd also like to find a place with a higher chance of success (on public land) since this is just a meat hunt.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In general there are few areas around Denver that have an abundance of huntable elk on public land. Much of the public land may not be huntable and you would have to know somebody to hunt the private.
Many of the late season cow hunts in the western part of the state enjoy high success rates.
Take a look at the regulations when the come out to see what options are available then look at maps of the areas. Look for an area that has a lot of public land down low - BLM typically or large chunks of private land where you stand a chance of getting permission. Maybe even get out and contact local DWM's to see what to expect in certain areas before you apply.

Good luck.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check area 18 around Hot Sulpher Springs. There is a lot of BLM and school trust land there. My family went 3 for 4 this winter. We could have filled the 4th tag, but decided 3 cows would be enough meat for us.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote