New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pac-boots for Musk ox hunt.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The outfitter has recommend I get some Sorel type pac-boots for my Oct. musk ox/caribou hunt. I'm from the south and know nothing about cold weather gear. I've looked through my Cabels catalog and found some Rocky Polar Trac's with 800grains of thinsulate rated to -100deg, anyone use these?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOu have to be careful when you start looking at cold weather boots. Ones that have a lot of insulation in them are generally meant for stand hunting where you sit around all day, and they are heavy. I don't think you are going to want a heavy boot where you are going if you are going to be doing a lot of walking in mossy muskeg.

You may want to check out Schnee's Pac boots before you make up your mind, and probably go with the lighter weight ones, using the best socks you can get.

As for wool socks, I have used Filson's Merino wool socks in both the medium weight and the heavy weight. They both are fantastic socks. Just make sure you wear a breathable undersock that allows moisture to disburse.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might post over on the Alaska Forum..there are a couple of folks there that hunt Muskox..October is still a little early but I bet it will be cold, frozen, and fairly dry..ask your outfitter what he wears and get those.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Cabelas Polar Cap Pac Boots

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Ice Kings, I wore them In NMN. My feet were comfortable at -20 stand hunting. Yes they are a little heavy, but if you are using a snowmoble to get around and doing some walking I doubt they would be a problem..Does your outfitter have any reccomendations?? What will your guides wear? I would think that would be a good place to start.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sorel Chieftain is the current model I would go with. Call up Wasatch Workwear in Salt Lake City and ask them if they have any -100 degree rated Sorels. That's where I got the pair I used in the Yukon and they worked great. I bought a pair of -100s with the steel toe and shank and then added an extra insulated footbed to increase the temperature rating.
These boots and a pair (or two) of smartwool mountaineering socks should work out fine. Smiler

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorels are rubber bottom leather top felt liner boots. you want to look for them with removable felt liners. the thicker the liner the better. lacrosse made some good ones too. also make sure of good heavy socks - 2 pair - make sure they fit into the boots. not to tight. give your self plenty of breathing room.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not go with a "pac" style boot such as Schnees or White's. Your feet will freeze.

Try finding an old pair of what they call "Mickey Mouse boots" from your Army Surplus store. These babys are not good for walking, but they are waterproof, tough, and REALLY WARM! I know of a few magazines where a fella can find a pair (Sportsman's Guide) and get them for a pretty decent price. Many guys in these parts use them for ice fishing and riding snowmobiles...I haven't heard one complaint yet.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you will be walking for any distance make sure the boot you get laces down almost to your toes. If they don't you wont have engouh foot and ankle support and your socks will eventually slip off your foot and end up in the toe of your boot. I had several pairs of Sorels that kept me warm ,but hey weren't worth a damn for walking. The best compromise I have found is a set of Schnees pack boots. Get two sets of liners and change them daily.

I dont like the Army Mickey mouse boots. They dont allow your feet to breath. If your feet sweat at all you'll have frozen toes. If your stand hunting they may work.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to www. northernoutfitters.com, and see what is available for extreme weather hunting.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

What size do you wear. I have a pair of Whites Elk Hunter that I've worn once. I think they are 10 1/2 or 11. They are far to warm for the kind of hunting I do. Check them out on the web. I'll make you a good deal on them.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianbo:
Hi Mark,

What size do you wear. I have a pair of Whites Elk Hunter that I've worn once. I think they are 10 1/2 or 11. They are far to warm for the kind of hunting I do. Check them out on the web. I'll make you a good deal on them.

I wish I could wear them bawling it takes half a cow to make a size 12 to fit my feet.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
Mark, hands down the best cold weather boot (whether walking or sitting) is the "bunny boot" aka mickey moose boot that Madgoat reffered to. Trust me, our winters are as cold as anywhere. These boots are used by most people, so I'm told, in the Iditorod sled dog race in Alaska. The boot is designed by the US army I believe and are $80 US at :http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/Colemans.storefront/en/Product/081901,

if that link doesn't work try colemans.com, buy the white ones.

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
If it will stay below 20 degrees F and you will not be trudging through water then only Steger Mukluks will do.

I use the Arctics in double wide.

http://www.mukluks.com/arctic.shtml

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote