Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bringing guns into US
 Login/Join

posted
I am planning a big game hunt for a few mates and I in November and was wondering what we have to do to get our own firearms into US? Does the US still allow hunters to bring in there own guns? do I still have time?
cheers
T. H

a hurst never stops at a bank

Posts: 7 | Location: Qld Australia | Registered: 14 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have to apply to temporarily import your gun(s). Here's the form: https://www.atf.gov/file/61581/download

You can read more about it by simply doing a Google search, but from my recollection you can expect to need at least 6 weeks lead time.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used that same form to obtain my Temporary Import Permit for my USA hunt later this year. At question 13 asking about Hunting License etc. I sent copies of my Tags for Deer and Elk which they accepted. I faxed the whole package to the number given in General Info, para 16. This may require persistence as I found it took 3 attempts to get the fax through. I received my approved, numbered permit ( i.e. the same document signed & numbered, faxed back to me ) in less than 2 weeks. I was told to allow 6 weeks so I guess you should allow that if you have the time.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2049 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The instructions on the form say to allow 8 weeks, but as 30.06king has found, the turn around time can be much shorter, particularly if you have everything right on the form and you apply well before hunting season. The ATF is not quite so busy during the summer, but by the same token they have many employees on vacation. At any rate, the sooner you get it in the better.

Your problem may be that you have not yet received your actual hunting license and have to wait on that before you can apply. If you are using an outfitter or guide who has your physical licenses in hand then you might get him to email you scans of them.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does Steve at Travel With Guns book from Australia to the US? If so he would know all the rules I bet.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for your help on that fellas

a hurst never stops at a bank

Posts: 7 | Location: Qld Australia | Registered: 14 July 2014Reply With Quote