THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Blaser Chronicals: 223 Sporter Barrel

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser Chronicals: 223 Sporter Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A few days ago I shot my Blaser 223 with the Schmidt $ Bender 2.5-10x56 scope as a final check before leaving on a trip where I plan to shoot some prairie dogs en route to and from a black bear hunt in Idaho. This scope has the reticle in the first focal plane and gets pretty "thick" as the power is increased, so today I decided to change scopes to my 8x56 Kahles.
I had planed on using Winchester factory 55 grain Ballistic Tip, until I tried some other rounds. Federal 69 gr Match. Black Hills 68 grain Moly, and Black hills 75 grain Moly all shot near one hole groups at 100 yards.
So I will use the Black Hills 68 grain load until I run out, shifting to the WW 55 gr Ballistic Tip, which shoots almost as good. I cannot believe how good this skinny sporter 223 bbl shoots.
But why should I be suprised?... It is a Blaser. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N E 450No 2
you know there are people on this forumn that flat out don't like BLASERS. They are entitled to their opinion. I agree with you, Ihave three of them and don't shoot any thing
else. My next barrel is the 223 I hope it shoots as good as yours.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
blaser93,
I bet it will. All the Blaser barrels I have shot have been very accurate.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
So much so that it becomes boring. I've heard of a single R93 that didn't shoot sub MOA but I'm not sure of the reliability of my source Wink

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N E, I'm surprised the Blaser will shoot a bullet as heavy as the Black Hills 75 grs (bullet manufacturer??). The R93 .223 barrels should be 1-10", which would be slightly slow for the 75 grs. But hey, if you got good accuracy, who am I to argue with success...
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mho,I too was suprised. I was even worried about the 68 grain Black hills load. Both are moly coated. I was uaing those loads in my 223 for Service Rifle Competition. I know the 68 is a Hornady and I believe the 75 gr is too.
The Federal factory 69 gr Match load shot very good too.
The best group of the day was the 75 Black Hills.
I am taking the 68's on my prairie dog hunt. I would want to shoot the 75's at 200 yards before I trusted them in the 1/10 twist.
They are all loaded to magazine length.